Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Disk Catalog?

Default Best Disk Catalog?

Is there a Disk Catalog application in the opeSUSE 11.3 distribution? If there is, I can't seem to find it.

Data has been accumulating on various media for 20 years. Organization is a real problem since it is on everything from floppies to CDs to DVDs to flash drives to external hard drives to internal hard drives on 3 computers. File systems range from DOS to FAT to NTFS to ext3 (ext4 coming).

I just spent 6 hours searching CDs manually to find a picture of a distant relative who died. His children remembered the picture and wanted a copy. Now every surface in my office is covered with old CDs I have to put away somewhere. Surely there is a better way.

I need something that will organize file names, dates and media so I can search for it.

I have looked at Gnome Catalog and GTK disk Catalog but they haven't been updated in a long time and don't seem to be included with openSUSE 11.3. That makes me suspect they have problems of some sort. Is that a reasonable assumption or should I conclude they are mature products that don't need updating? Has anyone here used them?

Please Advise.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Default Re: Best Disk Catalog?

I don't know of any application to do what you want but, in KDE, you could set Konqueror to the long list view, put each CD in the drive and then paste the long list view text into a text document on which you could do text searches.

On 2010-12-04 10:06, john hudson wrote:
    >
    > I don't know of any application to do what you want but, in KDE, you
    > could set Konqueror to the long list view, put each CD in the drive and
    > then paste the long list view text into a text document on which you
    > could do text searches.

That would be horrible, but it is doable.
    Best thing would be a database storing also extra data beagle style.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Advanced Disk Organizer is the standard for disk cataloging under Windows. Although reviews claim there are Linux versions, I have been unable to find one to download. The Linux versions seem to be rumors - mentioned but not present.

Would someone like to offer a professional opinion of Hyper's CD Catalog? In searching, it is the only Disk Cataloger for Linux I found that has been updated in the past year.

I am not a developer. I want to USE openSUE Linux without the hassle of experimenting with buggy, quirky applications. I find it odd that openSUSE offers many applications to burn CD/DVDs but not a single one to catalog them after they are burned.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Blog Entries

CdCat - Hyper's CD Catalog

seems to have been revived in the last month as you've seen. Maybe you can persuade somebody to package it for openSUSE.

Is there a procedure for getting someone to package it?

Gnome Catalog and GTK Disk Catalog appear to be further along in development than CdCat but nobody seems to be working on them now.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot

Blog Entries

I think malcolmlewis (kudos to him) does quite a few packages, maybe you could PM him. Or he might notice this thread.

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

TwoHoot wrote:

> Is there a Disk Catalog application in the opeSUSE 11.3 distribution? If
    > there is, I can't seem to find it.

Something like datacrow or tellico?

http://www.datacrow.net/
    http://tellico-project.org/

--
    Chris Maaskant

CdCat - Hyper's CD Catalog seems to have been revived in the last month as you've seen. Maybe you can persuade somebody to package it for openSUSE.
    The latest CdCat-Unicode-1.1Beta1-qt4_20101109 builds locally on 11.3, but OBS barfs at some compiler errors.

Code:
    CdCat-1.1Beta1-12.1
    ... running 01-check-debuginfo
    ... testing for empty debuginfo packages
    ... running 02-check-gcc-output
    ... testing for serious compiler warnings
        (using /usr/lib/build/checks-data/check_gcc_output)
        (using //.build.log)

I: File is compiled without RPM_OPT_FLAGS
    W: CdCat no-rpm-opt-flags <cmdline>:adddialog.cpp, cdcat.cpp,  commwidget.cpp, config.cpp, dbase.cpp, dirview.cpp, find.cpp,  guibase.cpp, hdirview.cpp, icons.cpp, import.cpp, importdialog.cpp,  mainwidget.cpp, mp3tag.cpp, newdbdialog.cpp, wdbfile.cpp, info.cpp,  exportcdcatdb.cpp, showcontent.cpp, selreadable.cpp, colorsettings.cpp,  borrow.cpp, tparser.cpp, misc.cpp, moc_files/moc_adddialog.cpp,  moc_files/moc_commwidget.cpp, moc_files/moc_config.cpp,  moc_files/moc_dbase.cpp, moc_files/moc_dirview.cpp,  moc_files/moc_find.cpp, moc_files/moc_guibase.cpp,  moc_files/moc_hdirview.cpp, moc_files/moc_mainwidget.cpp,  moc_files/moc_newdbdialog.cpp, moc_files/moc_import.cpp,  moc_files/moc_importdialog.cpp, moc_files/moc_info.cpp,  moc_files/moc_exportcdcatdb.cpp, moc_files/moc_showcontent.cpp,  moc_files/moc_selreadable.cpp, moc_files/moc_borrow.cpp,  moc_files/moc_colorsettings.cpp, help.cpp, moc_files/moc_help.cpp

I: Program is using uninitialized variables.
       Note the difference between "is used" and "may be used"
    W: CdCat uninitialized-variable wdbfile.cpp:149

I: Program returns random data in a function
    E: CdCat no-return-in-nonvoid-function import.cpp:59

I: Program returns random data in a function
    E: CdCat no-return-in-nonvoid-function import.cpp:59
    SysRq : Power Off
    Power down.
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...t=home%3Avodoo
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

Blog Entries

Tell the maintainer. Since he's recently adopted the project, he should be quite interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast