Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Disk Catalog?

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

Default Re: Best Disk Catalog?

TwoHoot wrote:

> Just reading about it on the 'Tellico website'
    > (http://tellico-project.org/), it looks like the "File Collection"
    > template will do exactly what I want to do.

I suggested this to you about a week ago :-)
    Have you looked at datacrow?
    It's also in the repositories for opensuse.
    http://www.datacrow.net/

--
    Chris Maaskant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Maaskant View Post
    I suggested this to you about a week ago :-)
    Have you looked at datacrow?
    It's also in the repositories for opensuse.
    Data Crow - Cataloger
    I looked at them tellico and datacrow casually when you first suggested them. I did not install either because it looked like they were aimed at the collector who wants to get online data about the collection.

Later, I did install tellico but found that it offers templates for manual data entry. It would work if I was willing to type in information about every file that I have generated over the past 25 years or so. There are literally hundreds of thousands of them. I simply can't do it. I am better off just inserting each CD/DVD, external drive or flash drive data archive and looking for what I want in the file browser when I need old files (as I mentioned in the thread start post).

This morning I installed datacrow to have a look at it. It installs from their website and shows as a new application but won't run at all on my #2 computer. I don't know what the problem is but I don't have time to track it down right now, so I just uninstalled it. Maybe I will have time to try and figure it our later.

What I am looking for is an application that will make a searchable database of the directory of any available media by recording the media name and type plus all the the folders and files with name, type, date and any metadata associated with each file. CdCat comes very close to doing this with the relatively minor shortcomings mentioned in a previous post.

Thanks for the relpies.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.8.3
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.8.7

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHoot View Post
    Later, I did install tellico but found that it offers templates for manual data entry. It would work if I was willing to type in information about every file that I have generated over the past 25 years or so. There are literally hundreds of thousands of them. I simply can't do it. I am better off just inserting each CD/DVD, external drive or flash drive data archive and looking for what I want in the file browser when I need old files (as I mentioned in the thread start post).
    At least as far as Tellico goes, what you want is File->Import->File Listing. That will auto-generate a catalog of whatever directory you choose. Tellico isn't specific to file catalogs, though, so its other shortcomings may keep it from being what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    At least as far as Tellico goes, what you want is File->Import->File Listing. That will auto-generate a catalog of whatever directory you choose. Tellico isn't specific to file catalogs, though, so its other shortcomings may keep it from being what you want.
    I'll give it a try when I have a little more time. Thank you for the reply.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.8.3
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.8.7

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123