Thread: Problem Panda 3D on Opensuse 11.3

Default Problem Panda 3D on Opensuse 11.3

HI,

I want to know whether somebody has installed and run successfully Panda 3D in OpenSuse. I'm trying and the samples and they don't work.

Code:
    dRNn1076@linux-pdjo:/usr/share/panda3d/samples/Ball-in-Maze> python Tut-Ball-in-Maze.py
    DirectStart: Starting the game.
    Known pipe types:
      glxGraphicsPipe
    (all display modules loaded.)
    Segmentation fault
    Panda3D - Free 3D Game Engine

Any idea what' s happening?

Default Re: Problem Panda 3D on Opensuse 11.3

Hey there,

I've never heard of Panda - that looks pretty cool. How did you install? I'm on 11.3 64-bit and the one click is not supported on this version. Did you build from course?

Have you tried running it with -v or -vv, etc. to see if python will give you any more to go on?

Cheers,
    Lews Therin

From the install page, this look like it might be what you are running into:
    Python packages need to be compiled for a particular variant of python. For example, a package that works with python 2.4 will not work with python 2.5. A package that works with 32-bit python will not work with 64-bit python. A package that works with UCS2 python will not work with UCS4 python. And so forth. In short, a python package must be carefully aligned, feature-for-feature, with one particular python interpreter. That package will not work with any other python interpreter.

Fortunately for you, our prepackaged copies of Panda3D are already carefully matched. For example, our Panda3D for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon is already perfectly matched to
    the python interpreter that comes with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. So normally, you don't need to worry about this at all.

If your Linux Distribution is not listed, you will need to build your own copy of Panda3D. The build process will automatically create a copy of Panda3D which perfectly matches your Linux Distribution's python interpreter. This is easy to do, but it does require a time-consuming compile. On the other hand, trying to use an RPM or a DEB from some other Distribution is very unlikely to work, because of this need for an exact feature-for-feature match between the python package (Panda3D) and the python interpreter.

HI,
    yes, I compiled the source code and did the installation. I received help from the Panda community; below it is the conversation we had during the installation. It might be helpful for those interested in running panda on OpenSuse.

Installation problem on openSUSE 11.2 - Panda3D Forums