what do the new icons mean?

Is there a legend somewhere that explains what the new post icons mean? I’m making some guesses, but some documentation would be nice.

I find the red rather dark and easy to confuse with the black. Probably because I’m a bit colour-blind to red.

I have seen (now?) something like a legend with four icons explained down on http://forums.opensuse.org/ . It is called

Icon Legend
And also e. g. down on Forums Feedback with other icons but also called
Icon Legend

And I like the colors (but I think that was not known to Kim and so not the reason for that change…:wink: ).

Regards pistazienfresser

Ah, but that only has 4 icons and also I never bother with the front page. I just go straight to new posts.

And also e. g. down on Forums Feedback with other icons but also called .

That page has the full legend but it’s even harder to distinguish the dark red and black in those small icons.

But never mind, I can see that it’s not a concern to me whether a topic is hot or not.

IMHO they are too large and too bright.

Yep, I aggree. Way too bright. I am not sure about the color, they break the harmony.

I actually like the new design :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Greg

Great new design!!!
Best regards …

Not sure if that was intended. Probably something that went wrong during the last update :wink:

Good point. A significant percentage of the male population suffers from colour-blindness to varying degree. The most common is red-green (IIRC).

I hope it is only a blip, as I agree with those who said: too large, too bright, and breaks the harmony. Also more difficult to spot the “previously posted in” threads.

I like the design, but IMHO the red icons should be green. Not just to make them better visible for @ken_yap.

Ah yes, that’s what you get for using the factory icon repo. lol!

Ah, I see what you mean. The home page looks ok. However the sub-forum pages and e.g. New Posts are what I don’t like, and it’s not just the red. The parallelogram style icons now seem out of step with the overall look, especially compared to home page. A small green arrow for “previously posted in” on a red background is a regression in design!

That’s what I meant. The design of the home page, does not flow into the forums pages. Imagine the red icons in a greyish black, the black ones in the green used on the homepage. Take a look at the Japanese forums right now, see the others.

ken yap wrote:
> Ah yes, that’s what you get for using the factory icon repo. lol!

is someone ‘upgrading’ the web forum with factory code?

why? is this a forum software beta testing experiment, or a place to
try to help openSUSE users?

and, are the same people who have been ‘upgrading’ the wiki for a year
doing this too?

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:27:03 +0000, DenverD wrote:

> ken yap wrote:
>> Ah yes, that’s what you get for using the factory icon repo. lol!
>
> is someone ‘upgrading’ the web forum with factory code?

Emphatically: Absolutely NOT.

Ken was making a joke.

> why? is this a forum software beta testing experiment, or a place to try
> to help openSUSE users?

The latter, (I hope) obviously.

> and, are the same people who have been ‘upgrading’ the wiki for a year
> doing this too?

You’d have to ask them. The wiki is managed separately from the forums.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Hello all,

I agree, the icons should be green instead of red.

Has anyone noticed that the icons seem inverted.
The topics with no new posts show an open envelope.
And the ones with new posts a closed one.:sarcastic:

Here’s a picture to show the problem:
http://i53.tinypic.com/29wnz0z.png
Good luck!:wink:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:06:01 +0000, Edward Iii wrote:

> The topics with no new
> posts show an open envelope. And the ones with new posts a closed
> one.:sarcastic:

Open = no new posts/thread has been read

Closed = new posts that have not been read

Makes sense to me…?

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Hello hendersj,

Oh…, of course! What was I thinking?:stuck_out_tongue:

Still I prefer open envelopes for new posts, because the letter sticking out the envelope means there’s a new message.
But I understand why it is how it is now.rotfl!

Thanks!:wink:

I agree that the letter sticking out suggests there is something to read. The opposite of that would be an empty opened envelope.

Also agree that a closed envelope suggests there is post to be opened/read. The opposite of that would be an opened empty envelope.

No difference, suggesting it’s the pairing of those icons that created ambiguity. Icons, particularly these large ones, shouldn’t need explanation or what is the point of an icon. :wink:

Red or green is more or less the same for me.
But the green arrow on the black envelope is a bit hard to see. Of course, it’s not difficult, but you don’t see it inmediatly.
Anyway, we will adjust. In some days it’ll seem to us as if it had been always like that.