Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: wget command help to download packages from mirror

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    phanisvara wrote:
    > since wget is otherwise very complex, i'd be surprised if it
    > couldn't handle this (file name patterns). my man file says it's
    > not the complete documentation for wget


    somehow i GUESS we were/are helping the student/OP with his
    homework...a task he should be required to figure out on his own..

    otherwise, what is the point?

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:54:45 +0000, DenverD wrote:

    > phanisvara wrote:
    >> since wget is otherwise very complex, i'd be surprised if it couldn't
    >> handle this (file name patterns). my man file says it's not the
    >> complete documentation for wget

    >
    > somehow i GUESS we were/are helping the student/OP with his homework...a
    > task he should be required to figure out on his own..
    >
    > otherwise, what is the point?


    I don't see anything that makes me think this is someone asking the
    community to do their homework for them. You know I agree that if that
    is the case, of course they should be pointed in the right direction so
    they can learn the answer.

    But let's not default to that assumption without some sort of evidence -
    we don't want to be seen as being unsupportive of people who are just
    trying to learn how to use openSUSE. :-)

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sri mayapur, west bengal, india
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:41:52 +0530, Jim Henderson
    <hendersj@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    > I don't see anything that makes me think this is someone asking the
    > community to do their homework for them. You know I agree that if that
    > is the case, of course they should be pointed in the right direction so
    > they can learn the answer.


    +1

    don't forget that there are people who don't spend half their lives behind
    a monitor. this question doesn't seem to have an obvious answer and
    requires some research. to find one's way around SUSE documentation, man
    files, and GNU info.txts may take some time.

    --
    phani.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    Jim Henderson wrote:
    > I don't see anything that makes me think this is someone asking the
    > community to do their homework for them.


    just that s/he *is* a student, and since there are only 16 files in
    that directory it is MUCH easier, rather than asking how, to just wget
    the 16 one at a time by name (or easy copy paste file names into an
    input file) and let'er rip..

    > But let's not default to that assumption without some sort of evidence -
    > we don't want to be seen as being unsupportive of people who are just
    > trying to learn how to use openSUSE. :-)


    you might note that i *did* provide a direction to go (over two hours
    before the note you responded to) as had others before i asked a
    second time if it was homework..

    or are you saying that asking after helping is somehow unsupportive?

    odd.

    what other questions would you say we should not ask?

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:37:46 +0000, DenverD wrote:

    > Jim Henderson wrote:
    >> I don't see anything that makes me think this is someone asking the
    >> community to do their homework for them.

    >
    > just that s/he *is* a student, and since there are only 16 files in that
    > directory it is MUCH easier, rather than asking how, to just wget the 16
    > one at a time by name (or easy copy paste file names into an input file)
    > and let'er rip..


    Plenty of options why they might want to script it - perhaps as a
    specific instance of a more general ultimate goal.

    >> But let's not default to that assumption without some sort of evidence
    >> - we don't want to be seen as being unsupportive of people who are just
    >> trying to learn how to use openSUSE. :-)

    >
    > you might note that i *did* provide a direction to go (over two hours
    > before the note you responded to) as had others before i asked a second
    > time if it was homework..


    Yes, I did note that.

    > or are you saying that asking after helping is somehow unsupportive?


    No, I'm just saying let's avoid the appearance of accusing students of
    asking the community to do their homework for them when it may well not
    be such a request. That's all.

    Please don't read into my message any more than what is there.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:37:46 +0000, DenverD wrote:

    > just that s/he *is* a student


    I certainly don't get that from anything in this thread, but my crystal
    ball is perhaps broken. (?)

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    Jim Henderson wrote:
    >> student

    > I certainly don't get that from anything in this thread, but my crystal
    > ball is perhaps broken. (?)


    http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=35268

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,054

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:39:21 +0000, DenverD wrote:

    > Jim Henderson wrote:
    >>> student

    >> I certainly don't get that from anything in this thread, but my crystal
    >> ball is perhaps broken. (?)

    >
    > http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=35268


    A student of computing? An accounting student? An engineering student?
    A student at the school of hard knocks? That really doesn't tell me
    anything about what the OP is studying, nor does it give me any reason to
    assume that the questions they ask are related to a homework assignment.

    Again, the crystal ball isn't telling me anything that would indicate
    that this specific question or thread has anything to do with a homework
    assignment.

    If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me, but let's not derail
    this thread any further than it already is.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  9. #19

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    I think the solution I provided at the start of this thread - of using curl to just return the html contents of the url, then parsing out the package names matching alsa, and feeding that into wget would be one possible solution. Of course there are many other ways.

    Unless the person themselves shows some motivation to actually learn and understand the "how" of something better I typically think a short "man wget" or "man curl" is not inappropriate - point them in the right way and let them try. That's how you learn! Who knows if this is homework or not, but in any event the person who originated the question can make the effort and relay the results.

    I guess what I'm saying is the amount of support should be commensurate with the level of effort exerted by the person requesting it.

    Lews Therin

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,841
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: wget command help to download packages from mirror

    @DD. Maybe we even have to accept, that joining a forum, asking questions, persisting in finding answers, are modern ways of doing your homework. About a year ago I realized that I probably learned more in about linux in the couple of years I hang around in these forums, than in 11 years of a day-to-day UNIX sysadmin job. For a teacher/trainer it's quite easy to find out if a student is copying/having others do the work. A student that takes an effort to ask the proper questions in the proper place is already more than halfway. They're the future of the communities.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •