Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: KDE apps crashing

Default Re: KDE apps crashing

I'm having the exact same problem with KDE programs. I too have an nVidia video card with the most recent drivers installed. Nothing special done to the computer since the install (I'm on my second try in a week, not fifth). Same exact install DVD worked fine on a laptop with no ktorrent problems. But that laptop didn't have an nVidia vcard.

Ironically, I recently switched from ubuntu/gnome to openSUSE/KDE BECAUSE the nvidia driver wouldn't work to play 1080p video content in ubuntu no matter what I tried (overloaded the CPU and dropped hundreds of frames/minute).

kevinpo, if you don't mind I will subscribe to this thread so that I can follow your trials and tribulations and then steal your solution without any of the frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by bennyshaik View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem with KDE programs. I too have an nVidia video card with the most recent drivers installed. Nothing special done to the computer since the install (I'm on my second try in a week, not fifth). Same exact install DVD worked fine on a laptop with no ktorrent problems. But that laptop didn't have an nVidia vcard.

Ironically, I recently switched from ubuntu/gnome to openSUSE/KDE BECAUSE the nvidia driver wouldn't work to play 1080p video content in ubuntu no matter what I tried (overloaded the CPU and dropped hundreds of frames/minute).

kevinpo, if you don't mind I will subscribe to this thread so that I can follow your trials and tribulations and then steal your solution without any of the frustration!
    Update:

The problem is associated with the nvidia drivers. I installed a previous driver and ktorrent worked just fine without crashing. However (as you'll read in that post), the previous driver doesn't support OpenGL acceleration, which renders video watching (an essential part of an HTPC) totally useless.

So now, I'm forced to choose between watching videos and downloading them, a catch-22 of problems. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem without downgrading the nvidia driver?

All NVIDIA drivers support OpenGL . How did you install it?

From this rpm file that was attached to this thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456