Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE apps crashing

Default Re: KDE apps crashing

I'm cool with formatting and re-installing, just haven't heard the term pave used in that way. I'm going to give it a shot. May install it on my work laptop since that's due for a re-install of an OS.

Hopefully KDE will run on this thing, Dell D820 with Quadra NVS 135m
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin | ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard | GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GI Rev 2.0 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

Blog Entries

I suggest you do a 64bit install. Stick to the oss, non-oss, update and Packman repo first. Preferably use a new /home
    Why? Because your machine can run 64bit, no reason why not. A clean /home to make sure, your problems are not related to some setting or widget.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I would agree on the 64-bit route - no reason not to. As an aside - I actually just did a network install of Suse on a netbook - over wireless no less, and was extremely please with how well it went - flawlessly actually. It was pretty cool, I'd never done a network install using wireless!

As for the KDE crash manager crashing - the only thing that can be said about that is . . . doh! That's too bad. However, you can usually get a pretty good idea of what library you need the debuginfo for my look at the output in the terminal. I say "usually" as it is not always obvious - sometime anything but. You can also use ldd to see what libs the app is linked against and install the debug packages to match, and pretty much just install all the KDE debug libs. Yea, it takes a lot of space, but you an always remove them later.

Really though - this is weird, since this is a fresh install - it should "just work". I'll be interested to see what the deal is after your reinstall.

Cheers,
    Lews Therin

Will probably stick with 32bit OS. I have tried 64bit OS's on this laptop as well as at home, and to be honest, IMO I think they run a bit slower than 32bit, plus I've had compatibility issues with some apps. Could be just me.
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin | ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard | GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GI Rev 2.0 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

Blog Entries

You still need to carefully qualify <all> your hardware, not just in your current machine but how you might upgrade it and what other resources you may connect to... 32-bit drivers are still more plentiful than 64-bit drivers in general.

64-bit is a commitment you can't undo. If you want to minimize unforseeable risks, 32-bit is better. If you have an unchanging specific role/task in mind for your machine and capacity/speed is a primary goal you may want to expend extra effort if necessary to go 64-bit.

And, as kevinpo notes, if you actually end up running 32-bit apps on your 64-bit machine I would expect there is usually a <penalty> in performance.

IMO,
    Tony

Last night I burned the DVD image and performed a fresh install, formatting all partitions, from the DVD, installing KDE. Once installed, I checked the repos per recommended from this thread and updated. I then installed the restricted codecs. Grabbed a couple WMV/AVI files (can't remember the extension type), and tried to play them, only to end up with Dragonplayer crashing. I installed the debugging info and tried again, The crash handler collected the info, but I needed an account on KDE to submit the bug. Needless to say, since I didn't have an account on KDE.org, I did not submit the bug report.

Might just be that I am not meant to run KDE.

Thank you all for the help and ideas, I may just scrap the idea of running KDE for now, since I don't have time to mess with it.

Hmmm Why DragonPlayer? VLC and Amarok is normally used and they work well.

Run Dragonplayer from the command line and show use the errors reported. You my be missing some library.

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:06:01 +0530, kevinpo
    <kevinpo@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Needless to say,
    > since I didn't have an account on KDE.org, I did not submit the bug
    > report.

these accounts are free; takes about 5 min to set one up.

> Might just be that I am not meant to run KDE.
    >
    > Thank you all for the help and ideas, I may just scrap the idea of
    > running KDE for now, since I don't have time to mess with it.

if some other distro treats you better, go for it. but please note that
    the problems you're facing are not common; for most users these app.s run
    fine. i suspect you're doing something wrong. but choose whatever works
    for you. good luck.

--
    phani.

Thanks for helping. I don't have a problem with openSUSE, just KDE, in a few distros. I guess I was just born to use gnome, which isn't a bad thing, there are just a few KDE apps that I would like to use. Other than that, this issue, which could be machine related, has caused me to spend too much time trying to figure out.

I appreciate everyones help.

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 00:36:02 +0530, kevinpo
    <kevinpo@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> I guess I was just born to use gnome, which isn't a bad
    > thing, there are just a few KDE apps that I would like to use.

you can use KDE applications within GNOME. depending which app.s you like,
    they will pull in quite a few KDE dependencies, but unless you have very
    little disk space, or a dinosaur of a machine, that wouldn't worry me.
    (works the other way around, too.)

--
    phani.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast