Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE apps crashing

Default Re: KDE apps crashing

Anyone? Any idea why KDE apps are crashing?

Just check, same files crash in Karreine with the following error:

Code:
    Executable: kaffeine-xbu PID: 6613 Signal: 11 (Segmentation fault)
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin | ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard | GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GI Rev 2.0 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 06:06:02 +0530, kevinpo
    <kevinpo@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Anyone? Any idea why KDE apps are crashing?

this sounds strange; the KDE apps. that are crashing for you, in both
    openSUSE & kubuntu, are working OK for others. you wrote you installed
    from a liveCD. which repos did you enable? to find out, run "zypper lr -d"
    from a root terminal and paste the output here, please.

--
    phani.

Hey there,
    Honestly there is not really enough information here to go off. Did you see the link I posted earlier on how to create useful crash reports? Are you getting the KDE Bug Report tool when the Apps crash? If not you may need to run them with gdb to get a useful backtrace - though I would recommend using the KDE bug tool if at all possible.
    If you get a full backtrace it is likely it will help determine the actual cause of the issue.
    Cheers,
    Lews Therin

On 2010-11-28 18:06, kevinpo wrote:
    >
    > I used the openSUSE 11.3 live KDE cd to install of the 32bit.

Did you update it?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Thank you all for your help in solving this issue.

@LewsTherinTelemon,

I tried to install the bug reporting tools, but also received an error. I will need to get the error when I go home this evening.

@robin_listas,
    I have updated openSUSE, that is usually the first thing I do once installing an OS.

@phanisvara
    Thanx, I will run this command when I get home this evening and report back the output.
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin | ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard | GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GI Rev 2.0 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB

On 2010-11-30 15:06, kevinpo wrote:

> @robin_listas,
    > I have updated openSUSE, that is usually the first thing I do once
    > installing an OS.

Run "zypper verify".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Just to be clear, it sounds like a 32-bit Network Install initiated by the LiveCD?

If so, then I think it should be fully updated immediately (or nearly so).

Especially if this is a brand new install and should mean that you don't have many custom configs and data yet, I'm thinking that after an initial look-around for anything obvious it might be a better use of your time to consider a pave/new install.

And, although a Network Install is really efficient downloading only what you configure and need it might make more sense in the long run to download the full DVD and install off that...

IMO,
    Tony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post

@LewsTherinTelemon,

I tried to install the bug reporting tools, but also received an error. I will need to get the error when I go home this evening.
    I also have run into this repeatedly... The KDE Crash Handler itself crashes whenever I attempt to install the debugging symbols appropriate to the specific problem.

According to various webpages I've read, a SuSE RPM with "-debuginfo" likely contains the required symbols, but there are literally zillions of such packages specific to different applications and I'm reluctant to install all of them to "prepare" for an eventual crash of some sort, is there a recommended approach to selecting certain packages (assuming the KDE Crash Handler won't be fixed any time soon).

I understand such "symbols" capture essential information about the process, so it's no small thing when troubleshooting.

TIA,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Just to be clear, it sounds like a 32-bit Network Install initiated by the LiveCD?

If so, then I think it should be fully updated immediately (or nearly so).

Especially if this is a brand new install and should mean that you don't have many custom configs and data yet, I'm thinking that after an initial look-around for anything obvious it might be a better use of your time to consider a pave/new install.

And, although a Network Install is really efficient downloading only what you configure and need it might make more sense in the long run to download the full DVD and install off that...

IMO,
    Tony
    I've never had much luck with liveCD's, though they do get one up and running quickly. Stupid question, what you state this:

better use of your time to consider a pave/new instal
    does pave mean a fresh install? Either way, I'm downloading the DVD now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post

does pave mean a fresh install? Either way, I'm downloading the DVD now.
    A reformat, then a new install.
    In other words, if you have nothing to preserve then make sure there isn't anything residual that can affect new.

Tony

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast