can i use system backup in yast
    to backup the system partition
    and restore it later in case of formating
    the system partition
    and will it be able to boot after restoration
    and can it be used for any linux distru

Blog Entries

Default Re: restore

Most of us don't use System Backup anymore, since reinstalling/repairing using LiveCD's takes far less time. Backup data and settings (which I regards as data), not the entire system.

I get the feeling you come from a Windows environment, nothing wrong with that, but someone is going to write it anyway: Linux is not Windows. If you're worried about data loss, or about how to get a crashed system up and going again, first get the hang of linux, by using the desktop, setting the appearance to your own flavor, learn how to install programs etc. In short, make it your workspace.
    There is no such thing in linux as 'accidental formatting'; at the point you could format a partition, you've been warned loud and clear.

Basically any partition/disk can be 'dd'-ed to and from another disk, and 'dd' is a common linux command, not bound to a distro, so yes.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Most of us don't use System Backup anymore, since reinstalling/repairing using LiveCD's takes far less time. Backup data and settings (which I regards as data), not the entire system.

I get the feeling you come from a Windows environment, nothing wrong with that, but someone is going to write it anyway: Linux is not Windows. If you're worried about data loss, or about how to get a crashed system up and going again, first get the hang of linux, by using the desktop, setting the appearance to your own flavor, learn how to install programs etc. In short, make it your workspace.
    There is no such thing in linux as 'accidental formatting'; at the point you could format a partition, you've been warned loud and clear.

Basically any partition/disk can be 'dd'-ed to and from another disk, and 'dd' is a common linux command, not bound to a distro, so yes.
    If I had to recover from a disk failure that destroyed the disk containing /, /srv , the file system for samba based data & another file system, after partitioning, i think that it would take me between an hour to an hour and a half to get the system back to the state is was in the day before the disk failure. I would do this by restoring the dar dumps of the file systems on the disk. I don't know how to install the system that quickly. You said that you can build the system more quickly than this. I am very interested in how that is done. I rebuilt my system going from 11.1 to 11.3 on new hardware and it took me a few days to rebuild my system. This included installing non-standard software from packman and other sources, moving the user accounts with their passwords, installing the scripts that run at logon, importing the volumes in LVM, etc. How can I do a new install in the same time or better?

'dd' is not meant as a desaster recovery - I personally think that using dd as a backup- or clone-tool is a huge misunderstanding (more info on that can be found when researching the history and mode of operation of 'dd').

Quote Originally Posted by vindevienne
    If I had to recover from a disk failure that destroyed the disk containing /, /srv , the file system for samba based data & another file system, after partitioning, i think that it would take me between an hour to an hour and a half to get the system back to the state is was in the day before the disk failure. I would do this by restoring the dar dumps of the file systems on the disk. I don't know how to install the system that quickly. You said that you can build the system more quickly than this. I am very interested in how that is done.
    I am not sure what Knurpht is referring to, but I can recover a systempartition within 5 or 6 minutes using Clonezilla (which is using Partimage or Partclone for ext-filesystems).

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    'dd' is not meant as a desaster recovery - I personally think that using dd as a backup- or clone-tool is a huge misunderstanding (more info on that can be found when researching the history and mode of operation of 'dd').

I am not sure what Knurpht is referring to, but I can recover a systempartition within 5 or 6 minutes using Clonezilla (which is using Partimage or Partclone for ext-filesystems).
    dd - device/disk direct is just that a basic tool for reading sectors from physical a to b to a new location x to y. 'IF' you know what you are doing it is a very powerful tool which can be used to back-up or restore portions of a system, but most notably it is used frequently to copy the partition table and GRUB boot loader to a safe place in case something overwrites that information rendering the system inaccessible. You can read up on working with the boot sector for lots more information.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

so using backup in yast livecd can restore the system partition
    to exact stat when backedup mean it will still be able to boot
    because i used ghost programes to backup linux partitions
    but when restore itsnot bootable

I never used the YaST backup tool and therefore am not sure how it works. I strongly recommend taking a look at →Clonezilla. It's fast, it's easy (when reading the →documentary) and it just works.