Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best driver for Intel Core i3 integrated graphics?

Default Re: Best driver for Intel Core i3 integrated graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Unfortunately, as I noted, I made a mistake above. While your PC has the same motherboard as that of my wife's new PC (and hence I think graphic chipset should be similar), your PC has the much slower Core i3 processor, while my wife purchased a PC with the faster Core i7 860 processor.

<snip>
    <snip>
    I'm not keen on pushing my wife to change her monitor connection and BIOS settings to test the integrated graphic card. She is still struggling in setting up MS-Windows under Virtual Box on this PC (through no fault of Virtual Box - these are MS-Windows specific head aches she is dealing with), and she does not want me distracting her from doing that to do Linux tests that take more than just a couple of minutes.

I do have high hopes for the Intel Integrated Graphics Adapters. But their drivers are simply not there yet for Linux.

Sorry.
    According to - Intel Core, the i7-860 (a "Lynnfield") does not have integrated graphics. What integrated graphics card came with the PC ?

The absence of the onboard GA would be a boon given the current state of support for same.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.15.3, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

Test:: openSUSE 15.0, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMc98 View Post
    According to - Intel Core, the i7-860 (a "Lynnfield") does not have integrated graphics. What integrated graphics card came with the PC ?

The absence of the onboard GA would be a boon given the current state of support for same.
    You have a point. While it is the same P7H55-M motherboard as voodo has, and while I note a VGA and HDMI connector on the motherboard, I also note the motherboard manual says for a Clarkdale CPU it comes with Integrated GPU enabled. But for the Lynnfield CPU it states Discrete VGA card required.

I noted that " lspci -nnk" yielded no Intel VGA, but I had assumed (possibly mistakenly) because the onboard graphics was disabled in BIOS. Reviewing this now, I see this motherboard has no integrated graphics for the Core i7.

I went back to the Klatt-IT ->Ihr Spezialist im IT Bereich website from where my wife ordered the PC over the Internet. I note the minimal graphic configuration with the Core i7 Lynnfield is with a nVidia 8400GS (256MB RAM) graphic card which adds 28 euros to the basic price. Going instead for the G210 nVidia graphic card added 40 euros instead of 28 euros to the basic price. There was no Intel GMA option possible when the Core i7 CPU was selected.

But if instead on Klatt-IT ->Ihr Spezialist im IT Bereich I were to downgrade the CPU from a Core i7 to a Core i3, and chose the same motherboard, suddently a Intel GMA (on Board) option at NO EXTRA cost (ie a 40 euro savings over the G210, not to mention a massive savings in going from a Core i7 to a Core i3) becomes possible.

So I think you are correct. There is NO integrated Intel GMA available on this board with a Core i7.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 28-Nov-2010 at 14:13.

........ There is NO integrated Intel GMA available on this board with a Core i7.
    That absence, given the Intel GMA ongoing saga, is an absolute benefit. Knowing that which I now know, I would have opted for the NV79 model with the switchable graphics. This, of course, might have spared me from this most educational experience.

Quote Originally Posted by vodoo View Post
    @consused: That's what I get:

Code:
    vodoo@myhost:~> glxgears

*** NOTE: Don't use glxgears as a benchmark.
        OpenGL implementations are not optimized for frame rates >> 60fps,
        thus these numbers are meaningless when compared between vendors.

281 frames in 5.0 seconds = 56.147 FPS
    301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.020 FPS
    What does this mean to you? (Is this a good/fair/poor result?)
    That would be slow to the point of un-usability (do this word even exist?), so obviously something else is going on. Maybe the output is sinc'd to Vblank or the like. The 60 fps (60 Hz) is highly suspicious...

I wouldn't even waste time thinking about it, as glxgears is a highly suspicious measurement tool, and completely useless for benchmarking 3D. Apparently it seems to be slower with KMS/DRI2 anyway. It's a very simple graphic, and I don't think it uses texturing. The rendering time must be so small as to be negligible, so it's mainly measuring buffer switching/copying time. The 60 FPS has something to do with vsync being on (IIRC).

I did a quick check on the Intel site. i3 and some of the i5 have integrated graphics, i7 do not. ARK | Your source for information on Intel products.

As far as glxgears gives any indication of performance I'm back to field 1. I will try 11.4 once it is released and see if this makes a difference.
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

Blog Entries

I did a quick check on the Intel site. i3 and some of the i5 have integrated graphics, i7 do not. ARK | Your source for information on Intel products.

As far as glxgears gives any indication of performance I'm back to field 1. I will try 11.4 once it is released and see if this makes a difference.
    Indeed the core i7 of my wife does not have integrated graphics. I confess in my (rather poor) defence was I allowed myself to be mislead by an ambiguity in the seller's web page (which lead me to believe there were also integrated graphics with that Core i7) coupled with this Intel web page which for the Core i7 860 suggested there is "something embedded" which I mistook for graphics:

and finally the PC had two VGA connectors on the back with both clearly connected to either the motherboard or to the PCI-e nVidia card.

I had assumed (incorrectly with shoddy research on my part) that the motherboard connection was to 'embedded graphics' in the Core i7 860 per the quoted Intel page above.

Of course I was wrong.

Blog Entries

Indeed the core i7 of my wife does not have integrated graphics. I confess in my (rather poor) defence was I allowed myself to be mislead by an ambiguity in the seller's web page (which lead me to believe there were also integrated graphics with that Core i7) coupled with this Intel web page which for the Core i7 860 suggested there is "something embedded" which I mistook for graphics:

and finally the PC had two VGA connectors on the back with both clearly connected to either the motherboard or to the PCI-e nVidia card.

I had assumed (incorrectly with shoddy research on my part) that the motherboard connection was to 'embedded graphics' in the Core i7 860 per the quoted Intel page above.

Of course I was wrong.
    Further to that, if I had not been so lazy/shoddy, and had clicked a bit further in that site, it would have brought me here which makes it very clearly that there is no Integrated Graphics for that processor: Intel Core i7-860

For desktop i7, this appears to be true. There is (were?) the i7-6xxM (mobile) i7s, with two "cores" and integrated graphics (reference: Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). I have not seen a commercial market-built PC/laptop with this model.

Blog Entries

A follow up to this thread, I note the Sandy Bridge architecture of Intel graphics is described here in this wiki which includes the Intel Core i3 Integrated graphics.

I was just reading on Phoronix about the Sandy Bridge. Current support for it is a bit shakey. A couple of articles

I note Phoronix claim
    For the proper Sandy Bridge experience you are left looking for
    • the Linux 2.6.37 kernel,
    • Mesa 7.10,
    • the latest libdrm,
    • and the xf86-video-intel 2.14.0
    Its not even clear to me that openSUSE-11.4 will have all of that , but it might. I note this openFATE request which suggests it will support this: https://features.opensuse.org/310904

Hence it is starting to look promising that openSUSE-11.4 will have excellent support for this hardware toward the very end, JUST before 11.4 is released (possibly as part of RC1 - speculation on my part).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast