Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Novell to be sold to Attachmate

Default Novell to be sold to Attachmate

No rumours this time, directly from the horse's mouth:
    http://www.novell.com/news/press/nov...te-corporation

Default Re: Novell to be sold to Attachmate

My concern is the IP thats been sold to a MS-led consortium. Could this harm FOSS/Linux? Where is the openSUSE project headed from now on?

Blog Entries

Well, we knew this was a "probably eventuallity", but now that it is "definitive" (with only a small chance of it falling through) it will be interesting.

I shouldn't be surprised if the Mono products are the intellectual property being sold to the Microsoft-involved consortium, it is related.

Depending on what Attachmate wants to do, this could be good for SUSE. I really hope they are watching as to what kind of mess Oracle has been getting into with their treatment of Sun's open source projects, and does SUSE good.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

No one seems to know which parts went to Microsoft. Hard to tell what it might mean.

Attachmate will run it's Novell assets as two units: Novell and Suse.

Attachmate-Microsoft-Novell deal raises big questions for Linux

What's Microsoft's role in the Novell-Attachmate deal?

Blog Entries

To try an curb all the speculation:

The SUSE brand will remain as a separate business.

But it will be quite some time before we know the full implications of the deal. But it's business as usual for now.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Either that is an editorial, or its a simple incorrect article. It states:
    ... Novell basically conceded that its implementation of Linux violated Microsoft patents and agreed its customers needed patent-enforcement protection.
    Novell never conceded any such thing. Just the contrary. That article is incredibly falcious.

Agree that we'll have to wait for the specifics to understand what it all means but I guess we'll see lots of speculation first.

Here's Blankenhorn's take: Novell sale shows its control by Microsoft

What appears to have happened is that Novell put itself up for auction, its investment bankers demanded a price in excess of what the market priced it at, and Microsoft had to make something happen in order to protect its own interest in Novell’s copyright of Unix and its claimed patent rights, which Novell acknowledged in a five-year deal back in 2006. It’s the specifics of that deal, and the copyrights, that Microsoft had to keep out of rivals’ hands. Having that deal, and those copyrights, in the hands of a rival like VMWare could have been disastrous.

What does this mean for Linux? Nothing changes. Microsoft still claims to control it. The details remain hidden from view. Which means Microsoft still has something to hide from the open source community, and something to hold over its head.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    To try an curb all the speculation:

The SUSE brand will remain as a separate business.

But it will be quite some time before we know the full implications of the deal. But it's business as usual for now.
    What we do know is the following from the Novell press release:

Attachmate Corporation's acquisition of Novell is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals and clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, ..... In addition, the transaction is subject to approval by Novell's stockholders. The sale of the intellectual property assets to the consortium is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals and clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, and is also conditioned upon the closing of the merger with Attachmate Corporation. Novell currently expects these transactions to close in the first quarter of 2011.
    So IMHO we won't see anything until AFTER the first quarter of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised if the Mono products are the intellectual property being sold to the Microsoft-involved consortium, it is related.
    We'll see what this means for Mono. It would certainly be ammuniton for its detractors. But then, it could be an opportunity for MS to show good faith toward OSS. Of course, that isn't all that could be involved here.

Blog Entries

Be sure of this:

There will people flinging that Brown Smelly Stuff in hope that some of it will stick!
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast