Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife orders new PC with no OS ... possible openSUSE candidate

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Wife orders new PC with no OS ... possible openSUSE candidate

My wife decided she wants a new desktop PC , and so earlier today she ordered one over the internet.

Her OLD desktop PC that she is replacing is a 32-bit AMD Sempon-2600 w/1GB (Epox EP-8K7A motherboard) w/AGP ATI RV280 (Radeon-9200Pro) graphics [age-4+ years]. It works well, but my wife wants something faster. We will likely remove the atheros wireless card (a DLink) from that old PC and also remove the extra 300GB hard drive from this old PC, and then give the PC away as a gift to our maid. The wireless card and hard drive may go in my wife's new PC (TBC).

The new PC she ordered looks pretty neat:
    • Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M, H55
    • CPU: Core i7-860, 4 x 2.8GHz
    • 6 GB RAM (DDR3-1333)
    • Graphic card: GeForce G 210, 512MB RAM
    • 500 GB SATA II 7200rpm (16MB cache) hard drive
    • DVD burner
    • Powersupply - 550 watts

She wanted a cheaper PC (with some obscure motherboard) but the Asus was only a few Euro's more, and I found users noting this Asus motherboard worked for them in Ubuntu, so I had her upgrade to the Asus P7H55-M, H55. The same for the graphics, she had originally looked at a Core i5 and was considering an Intel GMA500, which is a nice chipset but its Linux support is poor compared to what MS-Windoze users get, ... and then she considered an ATI Radeon 5450 (also a nice card under MS-Windows but no HD support under Linux), so I manged to talk her into going for a Core i7 with the nVidia GeForce G210 (and not pay much more). My research suggests the G210 should work with the "nv", "nouveau" and proprietary "nvidia" graphic drivers. The G210 may not be as capable as the Intel GMA500 nor the ATI Radeon 5450, but it is more compatible with Linux.

The PC has no operating system and I anticipate it will come with a blank unformatted hard drive.

My wife noted the PC should arrive in a week or two.

My wife is now thinking she will carve up the hard drive like this:
    • sda1 - 150 GB NTFS data partition (eventually she may installWin7 or WinXP here)
    • sda2 - 150 GB NTFS data partition (this will always be for data)
    • sda3 - 200 GB extended
    • sda4 - 2 GB swap
    • sda5 - 25 GB " / " (for openSUSE-11.3)
    • sda6 - 170 GB (approx) /home (for openSUSE-11.3)
    She noted she is also thinking of installing 32-bit winXP in Virtual Box under 64-bit openSUSE-11.3 in the 170 GB /home. She is planning on allocating the Virtual Box client/virtual winXP about 2.5 GB of the PC's 6GB RAM, and probably give it the capability to expand to about 1/2 of the 170GB partition.

But the fact she is even considering putting openSUSE-11.3 on first, is interesting (and encouraging) to me.

Since she plans to put MS windows on later , I need to brush up on my openSUSE MBR restoration techniques, as this (Linux installed first) is not the nominal way to setup a new PC.

It should be interesting.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wife orders new PC with no OS ... possible openSUSE candidate

You'll probably be very qualified to write a Wiki article on How to convert a family member to Linux when you're finished.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

ken yap wrote:
    >
    > You'll probably be very qualified to write a Wiki article on -How to
    > convert a family member to Linux- when you're finished.
    >
    >

I already converted my girlfriend to openSUSE, was easy, I just say: "It
    has no virus, no blue screen, is faster, have games and cool 3D efects",
    2 weeks later she ask me to remove XP and install openSUSE ^_^

It also works with my grandmother

- --
    VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
    Stops working when you open a window.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkzv9xEACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVllQQCgvyS92PFcEYk9b2kDB5jX9srr
    3iYAn3ylycC2MZIrpawnoEgHDuxhMfgU
    =d7dw
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Quote Originally Posted by VampirD View Post
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

ken yap wrote:
    >
    > You'll probably be very qualified to write a Wiki article on -How to
    > convert a family member to Linux- when you're finished.
    >
    >

I already converted my girlfriend to openSUSE, was easy, I just say: "It
    has no virus, no blue screen, is faster, have games and cool 3D efects",
    2 weeks later she ask me to remove XP and install openSUSE ^_^

It also works with my grandmother

- --
    VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
    Stops working when you open a window.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - Enigmail: A simple interface for OpenPGP email security

iEYEARECAAYFAkzv9xEACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVllQQCgvyS92PFcEYk9b2kDB5jX9srr
    3iYAn3ylycC2MZIrpawnoEgHDuxhMfgU
    =d7dw
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    The few times I've tried to convert Windows users to OpenSuSe or Linux they complain about missing Netflix or they absolutely need to use MS Office 20zz. Even when the missus had used OpenOffice several times she still claims she couldn't open an MS Office document. The only person I have managed to switch so far is my brother and he's using LinuxMint although like me he still keeps Windows on a few PCs.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Sounds like a blank canvas to me, sure to be fun

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You'll probably be very qualified to write a Wiki article on How to convert a family member to Linux when you're finished.
    Hah, very true! I know my fiance probably wouldn't notice/care if I were to sneak and switch her from Windows 7 to openSUSE in the middle of the night....Hmmmm
    -Anthony

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the comments ... Its been an interesting couple of hours.

After the backups were done on the old PC, my Thai wife connected up a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ethernet connection to the new PC, and she switched on the new PC. We had previous agreed for her to press DEL to go to BIOS, but she was slow, and the PC went and booted to Windows7 (Deutsch). ... That was a surprise.

I sent her a puzzled look.

I was certain she told me she did not purchase Windows7. ... She stated she did not pay any extra money for Windows7 in this PC, but there was no denying the evidence. It booted to Windows7 Home Premium version. And it was a Deutsch version.

Anyway, that caused a quick re-think of her re-partitioning plans. She also noted she wanted an English version of Windows7, so she may end up paying Microsoft even more money to get an English version! < grrrrrr > ... anyway, she rebooted to the BIOS and checked the settings there. All appeared fine.

She then inserted the openSUSE-11.3 liveCD and confirmed it booted ok. She checked internet, and identification of the hard drive.

Then she rebooted to Windows7, and repartitioned the hard drive with Windows7 on it. But since it was in Deutsche, it was a quick phone call to her Thai girlfriend (who speaks fluent German and knows PC's very well) so to get her help in repartitioning from Windows7. Windows7 then allowed the hard drive to be partitioned into three partitions, ... 100MB Windows, 243 GB Windows7, and 243 GB unallocated partition.

After successfully repartitioning from Windows7, she then rebooted, changing the openSUSE-11.3 liveCD for the openSUSE-11.3 installation DVD and she installed openSUSE-11.3 on the 243 GB unallocated area. So the 500GB SATA drive looks like:
    • sda1 = 100 MB primary NTFS windows partition (associated with Windows7 boot)
    • sda2 = 243 GB primary NTFS windows7 partition
    • sda3 = 243 GB extended
    • sda5 = 2 GB logical (inside extended) Linux swap partition
    • sda6 = 25 GB logical (inside extended) / partition for openSUSE-11.3
    • sda7 = 216 GB logical (inside extended) /home partition for openSUSE-11.3.

Installation was smooth. The nVidia G210 booted fine to the nouveau driver. No 3D special desktop effects, but other than that the desktop is fine!

My wife's first act after rebooting was to get me to show her how to install Virtual Box. With guidance from me she downloaded the proprietary Virtual Box and installed it, and added her user to the vboxuser account. But she has not yet installed another OS under Virtual Box (it was getting late).

Then after I explained to her about software repositories (OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman) she went to YaST > Software > Software Repositories, and disabled the DVD as repository and added Packman. Then to Software Management and she switched System Packages to Packman. That replaced a number of 'crippled' SuSE-GmbH packaged apps with Packman packaged versions. Then she added smplayer, vlc and acroread, and she tested sound (it worked) and then called it a night.

Tomorrow I'm going to help her install the proprietary nVidia driver. She may also add her used 500GB hard drive to the PC tomorrow, and possibly install another Windows operating system under Virtual Box. And tomorrow she needs to add her local printer (an old HP inkjet) and also add our network printer/scanner (another HP printer/scanner).

So things did not 'pan out' as planned, but they did 'pan out' ok, and thus far no major hiccups, which is always a good sign.

Things worked out well for all that planning. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, ie, Windows 7 Deutsch.

I think changing language is as simple as changing the display language, unless the OEM removed the other language packages.
    Windows 7 | Start Menu | Control Panel | Region and Language | Format: English (favorite country) and she's done.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...splay-language
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oads/languages

Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

I came home after work, and discovered that my wife's new PC had arrived. She wasted no time taking it apart and looking under the hood (while I was a passive but definitely interested bystander) :
    I fail to understand as to "Why would anyone take apart a brand new rig"

Space Colony Lagrange Point 22° à, 77° Ƅ, 56° ɤ, 99° ɜ

Also i see a face in the second pic,i noticed it only when i actually clicked and opened it in imagebeam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vazhavandan View Post
    I fail to understand as to "Why would anyone take apart a brand new rig"
    lol ! ....

Thats my wife ! (although I confess I would probably almost do the same).

She was curious to see what was inside! BUT she tends to go one step further than me. While I would open up a case and take pictures AND not touch, she opens up the case, and then methodically removes the cables (so as to get a better look) and then methodically reconnects them again (to my horror) !

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast