Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife orders new PC with no OS ... possible openSUSE candidate

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wife orders new PC with no OS ... possible openSUSE candidate

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    You can buy SATA to IDE converters. But it may not be worth the trouble, disks are so cheap now.

In fact, why not plan to install W7 and Linux on separate disks, that may save you lots of hassle for a small expense.
    Indeed there is space on the drives, as the new PC will come with a 500 GB SATA, and my wife will have a spare 500 GB IDE. But I am unclear if the SATA/IDE contoller in the Asus P7H55-M, H55 motherboard is friendly with W7 and also with Linux. I've read horror stories of W7 users not being able to have both a SATA and IDE drive in their PC, and I've also read the same for Linux with a mix of SATA/IDE drives. I assume those horror stores are motherboard SATA/IDE controller dependent. Hence if I want to embark on this plan, I prefer to know in advance it will work.

One thing I found wrt my wife, is she does not have the same patience I have with PCs. If there is any hiccup in the installation process, she tends to make draconian decisions, where typically Linux comes out second best (as she gives Windoze priority).

Blog Entries

What I mean is, go buy a second 500GB SATA disk. In fact they are the smallest capacity SATAs made now and about $40 US. Well worth the saving in time trying to ascertain compatibility.

Edit: I mean, do it like this:

2x500GB SATA disks

Install Linux on sdb, but put GRUB boot sector on sda, which is otherwise empty.

Later disconnect sdb and install W7 on sda. W7 will not be able to harm Linux but will wipe out MBR.

Restore GRUB MBR to sda with rescue system.

Blog Entries

What I mean is, go buy a second 500GB SATA disk. In fact they are the smallest capacity SATAs made now and about $40 US. Well worth the saving in time trying to ascertain compatibility.
    Good point (and nice approach re: connecting/disconnecting SATA drives), although to do that I would have to do it discretely and present it as a 'fait accomplis' AFTER the PC arrives (possibly as a further Christmas present). My wife is working to a self imposed budget and she is extremely tight when spending even 1 euro more.

I've also been researching the motherboard some more ... checking out the ASUS P7H55-M, H55 motherboard:

I note iXBT Labs has a glowing review on a similar mother board.

I also note the Asus page for the ASUS P7H55-M, H55 motherboard has lots of useful information.

Still, I wish I had done this checkout BEFORE purchase, but any delay in my providing an answer when my wife asked for confirmation of the prevous motherboard she selected (a Foxconn H55MXV, H55), could mean my wife would make a decision to do things differently (she has no patience for lengthy research on my part). Hence since the Asus only cost an extra 17 euros, I immediately convinced my wife to go for that. Another option was the Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H, H55 which is probably superior, but the Gigabyte was 34 euros more, and there is a world of difference between 17 and 34 euros in my wife's eyes.

The ASUS P7H55-M, H55 also comes with 'Express Gate' (which is a Linux system) so one can be assured of reasonable Linux compatibility, even if one does not use 'Express Gate'. My view is 'Express Gate' is useful more to me as a Linux compatibility stamp, than to use practically. ... although ... maybe my wife will see this different (and she may actually use the 'Express Gate' capability).

For data storage, it has an Intel H55 Express Chipset built-in for SATA and a VIA VT6415 PATA controller for IDE, and I may research that wrt both win7 and Linux compatibility if one has BOTH a SATA drive and an IDE drive installed. Although that won't be easy, and instead I may just 'play this by ear'.

This motherboard has 'on board' graphics (Intel Clarkdale integrated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)) but I can't tell exactly what Intel graphics that is? (maybe Arrandale ? ) ... Since we ordered a GeForce G210 card with this PC, I will need to ensure the Intel graphics are disabled, so that the nVidia GeForce G210 is used instead.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 21-Nov-2010 at 06:07.

Blog Entries

I can see that with a wife who jealously guards 17€, you will not have to worry about ending up in the poorhouse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I also note the Asus page for the ASUS P7H55-M, H55 motherboard has lots of useful information.
    I've been checking out the web page on this motherboard, ... and in addition to having massive win7 downloads available, they also have massive winXP downloads available.

That winXP compatibilty was a surprise and not something I anticipated initially. ... My wife likely will be pleased ... and I guess I have to tell her! ... It will be interesting to see if that affects her win7 and Linux-Virtual-Box planning.

Blog Entries

I can see that with a wife who jealously guards 17, you will not have to worry about ending up in the poorhouse.
    Indeed. I am very lucky that way. I had thought that I was tight with money , at least I thought that until I met her!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    For data storage, it has an Intel H55 Express Chipset built-in for SATA and a VIA VT6415 PATA controller for IDE, and I may research that wrt both win7 and Linux compatibility if one has BOTH a SATA drive and an IDE drive installed. Although that won't be easy, and instead I may just 'play this by ear'.
    I'm checking the VIA VT6415 PATA controller for IDE, and it appears it had problems with older kernels, and newer kernels where a typo effects 2.6.33-rc4 and newer. I see a fix on 18-July-2010 for this: [PATCH] via82cxxx: fix typo for VT6415 PCIE PATA IDE Host Controller support. (Linux IDE and SATA Storage)... so it is possible this IDE controller is broken in 11.3 .... and whether that fix is in openSUSE-11.3 is unclear to me.

But I'm thinking its not important if my wife does not use an IDE device.

Blog Entries

If you want to reuse the 500GB IDE disk: A quick search on eBay showed that you can get SATA to IDE disk adapters for a few bucks. That will take an element of uncertainty out of the planning since you will then have all SATA disks, at least as far the mobo is concerned.

Blog Entries

If you want to reuse the 500GB IDE disk: A quick search on eBay showed that you can get SATA to IDE disk adapters for a few bucks. That will take an element of uncertainty out of the planning since you will then have all SATA disks, at least as far the mobo is concerned.
    Thats a great price for such an adapter.

I'm going to run that idea by my wife and see if she will agree to it. I note our local PC shop is selling a somewhat expensive version for 9.99 euro.

Its a digitus DS-33151, with web site here: IDE to SATA Adapter-DS-33151 | Digitus and some pix:

. .

Now IF my wife is willing to go that route (so as to use her second 500 GB drive) then she may wish to procure it from our local PC shop instead of over the Internet, so as to give our local shop some business. The reason being, before she ordered her new PC over the Internet, she gave our local PC shop the opportunity to quote on a PC with the same specification as she ordered over the Internet. Our local PC shop was over 100 euros more in price for the new PC (compared to the Internet price (after shipping)), so in the end, my wife decided to order the PC over the Internet instead.

However my wife may like the idea of now sending very some business to the local PC shop, so as to make up for their effort expended in a quote that my wife did not accept.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 21-Nov-2010 at 10:57.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Wife orders new PC with no OS ... possible openSUSE candidate

From the looks of the picture, it seems this is physically designed to convert a SATA drive to PATA, but I can't tell if the back connectors plug into a SATA drive or into SATA cables. If they have one in stock at your local PC shop, take a close look before you buy. I purchased one of these and it plugged right into the motherboard PATA plug and provided SATA connectors to use standard SATA cable up to the SATA drive. It had a floppy drive type power supply connection, while the one you show has the CDROM type power connection. The one I got I found could work either way, but it did not require a PATA cable to be used. Anyway, you got to be thinking how will it connect between the drive and the motherboard. Here is a pointer to what I am talking about. This one looks like it plugs directly into the drive and you use standard SATA cable to the motherboard.

Amazon.com: SATA to IDE/IDE to SATA Drive Interface Adapter: Electronics

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast