Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are firefox and thunderbird always crashing for me?

Default Why are firefox and thunderbird always crashing for me?

I'm trying to figure out why firefox and thunderbird keep crashing on me. I just installed Suse 11.3 64-bit with Gnome 2.30.0. I am using firefox version 3.6.12 and thunderbird version 3.1.6. They crash half of the time when something has to load, such as an attachment or download. Is there anything I can do about this?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Why are firefox and thunderbird always crashing for me?

So having Mozilla application issues is not normal. It looks like you have the most recent version loaded but I ask that you make sure you have the following repository added to your YaST / Software Repositories:

Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3

Next, I would run YaST / Software Management and press the view button on the top left and select Repositories and then select the newly added name you gave the Mozilla repository on the left column, and then select "Switch System Packages to the versions of this repository (Mozilla)" in the package window. What this will do is to make sure ALL loaded applications for Mozilla programs comes from the same place and version. I would restart your computer and see if this helps.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Why are firefox and thunderbird always crashing for me?

I'm running Firefox 3.6.12 from openSUSE repo and never had to use Mozilla repo. In fact, disabling that repo, deinstalling Firefox and reinstalling it from openSUSE repo has already solved similar problems for some people.

Code:
    zypper info MozillaFirefox

Information for package MozillaFirefox:

Repository: @System
    Name: MozillaFirefox
    Version: 3.6.12-0.7.1
    Arch: x86_64
    Vendor: openSUSE
    Installed: Yes
    Installed Size: 3.4 MiB
    Summary: Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
    * don't know about thunderbird though.

Blog Entries

hello please_try_again. I think the real problem is mixing versions between repositories. Due to the limited size of the Mozilla Repository, switching to it does not blow up anything else. Doing the same thing with the openSUSE repo might upset the whole apple cart for multimedia, replacing Packman stuff with openSUSE repos. That just means to me switching Firefox and Thuderbird to the openSUSE repo is a manual function, not automatic in any way. How many files must be switched and what are their names? If the problem is mixing versions, then never using the Mozilla repository or switching to using it whole as I suggest is the fix. At least, that is how I see it.

Thank You,

After trying so much(Thunderbir, Kmail...), I switch to Gmail, setting up to receive emails from hotmail e yahoo, thus I just need to keep watching only Gmail, and all messages from other email will appear on Gmail!!

Try Chromium, Opera and even Konqueror(webkit)
    OpenSUSE KDE

Dell Inspiron 1545 Intel

Jdmcdaniel3, I did what you said, and now firefox works perfectly. Thanks! I will try the same with thunderbird and report back.

Blog Entries

Jdmcdaniel3, I did what you said, and now firefox works perfectly. Thanks! I will try the same with thunderbird and report back.
    I love it when a plan comes together with a solution. please_try_again was also correct, but I think my solution is easier to do however. As I said before, the real issue is mixing versions of the same program between repositories. An unintended thing when you have more than the four recommended repositories added and active. Also, don't be fooled with the ease of switching to an entire repository as it works OK for small ones like Mozilla, but very odd things can occur when you do this with larger ones, even like Packman. So, don't do it with just any repository unless recommended by someone who knows how it works.

Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by alexdbars View Post
    Try Chromium, Opera and even Konqueror(webkit)
    I would add rekonq to that list. It came installed by default on Ubuntu Maverick. So I decided to give it a try under openSUSE (among others). I've been using it on that forum for about 2 weeks. Not bad.

Firefox is crashing again, although not nearly as much now. I noticed that it crashes under heavy load. When I have 10 tabs open, or I'm downloading the Suse DVD through firefox is when it crashes.

Thunderbird also crashes under heavy load, such as when I'm opening three different emails simultaneously with multiple pictures attached.

I wonder if this is because I'm using a ramdisk. I have a solid state hard drive, so I have firefox cache stored in /tmp, which is on the ramdisk. I only have 1GB of ram in this laptop. I also have no swap partition. Maybe that's why it's crashing...although Gnome system monitor says I'm only using 512 MB of ram when it crashes. I ran memtest and it says my stick of ram is ok.

Thoughts, anyone? Any input is much appreciated. Am I using way too little ram? I was thinking about this this morning and maybe that's my problem--that I only have 1GB of ram. It's a core 2 duo laptop though. I noticed that Thunderbird likes to crash when the CPU core that it's running on hits 99% usage. Hmm....this could be a hardware resource problem. Maybe I'll get more ram for this laptop.

My fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSA2M080G2GN_CVPO0161048A080JGN-part1 /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr,noatime        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSA2M080G2GN_CVPO0161048A080JGN-part2 /home                reiserfs   defaults,noatime              1 2
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults,noatime              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto,noatime                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto,noatime                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5,noatime       0 0

tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0755 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
    tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

results of df -h
    Code:
    user@linux-oejz:~> df -h                                                                                                                       
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on                                                                                         
    /dev/sda1              11G  3.4G  6.7G  34% /                                                                                                  
    devtmpfs              494M  252K  493M   1% /dev
    tmpfs                 495M  664K  494M   1% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda2              55G   31G   25G  56% /home
    tmpfs                 495M  344K  495M   1% /var/log
    tmpfs                 495M   13M  483M   3% /tmp
    tmpfs                 495M   24K  495M   1% /var/tmp

Hm, I am not sure whether this is the culprit here, but swap is used in pretty much any session, even when RAM is still available (at least it's used a little). The behaviour reminds me of the oom-killer (oom = out of memory), a function that will kill processes if no RAM is available. GNOME uses quite an amount of RAM and so do the Mozilla applications... I recommend to have a swap partition on *any* system, even with 8GB of RAM (doesn't have to be huge, actually GiB of swap should be enough for home desktops).

Hardware could also be the culprit indeed, maybe you should test your cpu and RAM a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast