Thread: USB not working

Default USB not working

Hello all,

I am a bit of a linux newbie so help is genuinely appreciated. I have an an install of opensuse 11.3 and it is has been a delight. However, just recently I noticed that nothing happens when I plug in a USB device, nothing happens. For example, when I plug in my mp3 player and type dmesg I get:

[1818401.093871] usb 2-4.6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16
    [1818401.168430] usb 2-4.6: New USB device found, idVendor=0e21, idProduct=0800
    [1818401.168433] usb 2-4.6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [1818401.168436] usb 2-4.6: Product: COWON D2
    [1818401.168437] usb 2-4.6: Manufacturer: COWON Systems, Inc.
    [1818401.168439] usb 2-4.6: SerialNumber: 02143100E1F88511408011422245C700

That is it! No dev notification or anything. I look in /etc/modprobe.d and there is no usb configuration. I figure I must be missing something. Again, any help is very much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: USB not working

Code:
    Hello all,

I am a bit of a linux newbie so help is genuinely appreciated. I have an  an install of opensuse 11.3 and it is has been a delight. However, just  recently I noticed that nothing happens when I plug in a USB device,  nothing happens. For example, when I plug in my mp3 player and type  dmesg I get:

[1818401.093871] usb 2-4.6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16
    [1818401.168430] usb 2-4.6: New USB device found, idVendor=0e21, idProduct=0800
    [1818401.168433] usb 2-4.6: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [1818401.168436] usb 2-4.6: Product: COWON D2
    [1818401.168437] usb 2-4.6: Manufacturer: COWON Systems, Inc.
    [1818401.168439] usb 2-4.6: SerialNumber: 02143100E1F88511408011422245C700

That is it! No dev notification or anything. I look in /etc/modprobe.d  and there is no usb configuration. I figure I must be missing something.  Again, any help is very much appreciated.
    Is this the only USB device your have tried? If you tap the USB notifier, it will show everything that is plugged in, does it show up in the list? If it did, you can tap it and get an option for file manager or a player. If you have not tried any other USB device, there may just be an issue with just this one device, but it does look like it is seen by the system.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: USB not working

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Is this the only USB device your have tried? If you tap the USB notifier, it will show everything that is plugged in, does it show up in the list? If it did, you can tap it and get an option for file manager or a player. If you have not tried any other USB device, there may just be an issue with just this one device, but it does look like it is seen by the system.

Thank You,

I have tried various external hard drives, thumb drives, and mp3 players. All get to the serial number but there is no device assignment. I Don't know why, but I thought maybe it was a firewall issue. But disabling the firewall yielded nothing. Nothing ever registers in the device notifier. Thanks for assisting.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I should have asked for more info about your setup.

1. openSUSE version (11.?) & bits (32 or 64)
    2. Desktop (KDE or GNOME & version)
    3. Kernel version like 2.6.33 or what ever it is.
    4. Any issues with drives on your PC?
    5. PC Make & Model, Desktop or Laptop
    6. Memory total for system

And anything else about your setup that might be helpful.

Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Sorry, I should have asked for more info about your setup.

1. openSUSE version (11.?) & bits (32 or 64)
    2. Desktop (KDE or GNOME & version)
    3. Kernel version like 2.6.33 or what ever it is.
    4. Any issues with drives on your PC?
    5. PC Make & Model, Desktop or Laptop
    6. Memory total for system

And anything else about your setup that might be helpful.

Thank You,
    jdmcdaniel3,

Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. The PC I just recently built myself. It is an Antec Sonata case with an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard. I have 12 GB of RAM and am using a 3ware hardware RAID 10 with four 1 TB drives. The only operating system I have installed on it is opensuse 11.3 with the 2.6.34.7-0.3 kernel. I am using KDE 4.4.4 for an X-Window interface. I have had zero issues with the operating system outside of trying to get volume working on my hdmi TV connection.

Holy ****!!! Going through this info reminded me of something. I remember about a month ago there was a kernel update that disabled the use of logitech usb keyboard/mice. I remember I applied the quick fix in the thread. Opensuse has since fixed that bug in a more recent kernel update. I wonder if that is biting me in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes200 View Post
    jdmcdaniel3,

Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. The PC I just recently built myself. It is an Antec Sonata case with an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard. I have 12 GB of RAM and am using a 3ware hardware RAID 10 with four 1 TB drives. The only operating system I have installed on it is opensuse 11.3 with the 2.6.34.7-0.3 kernel. I am using KDE 4.4.4 for an X-Window interface. I have had zero issues with the operating system outside of trying to get volume working on my hdmi TV connection.

Holy ****!!! Going through this info reminded me of something. I remember about a month ago there was a kernel update that disabled the use of logitech usb keyboard/mice. I remember I applied the quick fix in the thread. Opensuse has since fixed that bug in a more recent kernel update. I wonder if that is biting me in the ass.
    I have found the original thread. I followed the following advice:

Keyboard & mouse freezes

echo -1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1.2/power/autosuspend
    -> didn't help
    echo -1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1.2.1/power/autosuspend
    -> didn't help
    echo -1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1.2.2/power/autosuspend
    -> solved !!!
    so, make this change permanent:
    echo "echo -1 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1.2.2/power/autosuspend" >> /etc/rc.d/boot.local

for me it was device 7-1. I am going to comment this out, reboot and see what happens

Blog Entries

If you wish to bypass kernel version 2.6.34 completely, why not go for 2.6.36, the latest final kernel release. If indeed your problem was the bad kernel, though I thought the most recent version of the openSUSE 11.3 kernel was fixed for this problem, only needing an update and a reboot to make active (and reloading your graphics driver if you load a separate one). I have a script file that can be used to load the most recent kernel and it preserves your old one as well.

S.A.K.C - SuSE Automated Kernel Compiler

Message #26 has the most recent script version of sakc. You can pick the most recent final kernel at (2.6.36):

The Linux Kernel Archives

You can setup YaST to maintain multiple versions of the standard kernel load as well by making this change:

edit the file /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to say:

Code:
        ##
        ## Packages which can be installed in different versions at the same time.
        ##
        ## Packages are selected either by name, or by provides. In the later case
        ## the string must start with "provides:" immediately followed by the capability.
        ##
        ## Example:
        ##    kernel                - just packages whith name 'kernel'
        ##    provides:multiversion(kernel)   - all packages providing 'multiversion(kernel)'
        ##                      (kenel and kmp packages should do this)
        ## Valid values:
        ##    Comma separated list of packages.
        ##
        ## Default value:
        ##    empty
        ##
        # multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

multiversion = kernel-desktop <--- Use this for openSUSE 11.2

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel) <--- Use this for openSUSE 11.3
    I use this method in addition to loading separate kernels using sakc. You can't have too many kernels as a back up. I do remove anything that does not work. This config file contains lots of other entries which you leave alone and do not modify.

Thank You,

Thank you for your assistance jdmcdaniel3. I am good to go. This weekend I am going to take your advice and your script and utilize the latest kernel. So why have you not upgraded to kde 4.5? Being from austin perhaps you enjoy the blues as much as I do. A personal favorite performed live in Austin is Live James Cotton from antones (spelling?)

Blog Entries

Thank you for your assistance jdmcdaniel3. I am good to go. This weekend I am going to take your advice and your script and utilize the latest kernel. So why have you not upgraded to kde 4.5? Being from Austin perhaps you enjoy the blues as much as I do. A personal favorite performed live in Austin is Live James Cotton from antones (spelling?)
    Well first of all it is SUPER to hear you are good to go and problem solved. So I guess the kernel is what had got you. Indeed this proved to be a problem for several people with openSUSE. I have just bypassed the whole problem using sakc, but loading the most recent kernel that is NOT final release is not suggested. This only works well about half the time and you got to ask yourself, do you feel Lucky?, well do you pilgrim? So, I suggest you go with 2.6.36 for now and try other versions later. Any time you load an external binary driver, such as for video, it must be reloaded when you install a new kernel, so keep that in mind.

As for KDE 4.5, I actually have it loaded on a copy of openSUSE 11.2 and it is working just fine and so I could upgrade, but really I see no advantage to it right now AND CPU speed control was removed from this version. So, for now I am playing with it, but I have not moved it to my main computer.

As for the music scene, (Antone's is correct) I don't go out all that much these days. My wife had a stoke several years ago and uses a wheel chair. We just don't go out that much, though we are able to go out. This is the reason I spend so much time on the computer these days.

It is kind of odd because, my brother, who also lives in Austin, is way into the music here and goes to every event he can manage. He is also in a band called The Tiny Tin Hearts, which play really well and have played in many clubs here. So, I get filled in on the actions and get to hear a lot of recordings he has made. I ask that if you have a Windows computer, go to iTunes and search for their name. You will find their CD there and it is only $6.93 US. There are two songs on the record that are worth the whole cost---> Luke & Love & Jet Engines. I really can't believe my brother is so good and in such a band.

Anyway I kind of got off of subject there. As a relative new user here, I normally add a few more things to our success message. First, for all questions about the forum, you need to visit the FAQ's section:

openSUSE Forums FAQ

And finally information on Message counts and Reputation levels:

Forum Message Counts:

As you start or answer any message thread here in the openSUSE forums.

Puzzled Penguin 0-49 (new users start with this level)
    Student Penguin 50-99
    Explorer Penguin 100-249
    Busy Penguin 250-499
    Parent Penguin 500-999
    Wise Penguin 1000-1999
    Omniscient Penguin 2000

FYI here are the reputation levels:

As you reward another user for the help they have provided you using
    the reputation icon is in the lower left of any message that you read
    and looks like a star.

REPUTATION LEVELS:

User is infamous around these parts -99999
    User can only hope to improve -50
    User has a little shameless behavior in the past -10
    User is an unknown quantity at this point 0-9 (new users start with this level)
    User is on a distinguished road 10-19
    User will become famous soon enough 20-149
    User has a spectacular aura about 150-249
    User is a jewel in the rough 250-349
    User is just really nice 350-449
    User is a glorious beacon of light 450-549
    User is a name known to all 550-649
    User is a splendid one to behold 650-999
    User has much to be proud of 1000-1499
    User has a brilliant future 1500-1999
    User has a reputation beyond repute 2000
    Thank You,