How to Change GNOME Menu back to Classic View?

Hi,

I am wondering how you can change the view of the classic GNOME menu (Applications | Places | System) in 11.3 to the “classic” view (like in Fedora)?

• The Applications menu has to much sub-menus. I prefer it flat.
  • The nautilus bookmarks are not directly accessible in Places either, which is not really comfortable.

Thanks.

Did you mean this:

In openSUSE 11.2:
Panel>use right click>Add to Panel>Main Menu : Default Menu and Application Browser

And I can remove the other menu (“Menu Bar”) with a right click on it and “Remove”

Is that what you were searching for?

Regards
pistazienfresser

Hi
The name for it is ‘Tradition Main Menu’ - The traditional GNOME menu :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.24-0.2-default
up 12:41, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.07
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 260.19.12

Ah so “Tradition Main Menu” is its name, thanks :slight_smile:

I’ve got it in my panel. That was not the problem. My issue is that I don’t
see my nautilus bookmarks directly under “Places”…they are “hidden” under
a sub-menu “Places->Bookmarks->…” which is not great in terms of usability
(e.g. in Fedora they are directly listed under Places)…

I would think this may be because under openSUSE such view (show the nautilus bookmarks) is just the default view under
the openSUSE/Novell “Main Menue” slab (mine is slab 0.9.13):

Computer (=Main Menue)>ETHER (if not used just before) above right Botton-> “Places” OR (if used just before) directly shown

Just a guess.
Have a lot of fun!
pistazienfresser

I’m pretty sure “Fedora” [or any “other distro” of your choice] will also locate your bookmarks under a sub-folder called Bookmarks by default once you exceed a certain number of bookmarks.

Thats correct, but at least there is a certain treshold. In openSuse these bookmarks will always be shown under a sub-directory regardless of the total number… :frowning:

I would just think of adding nautilus to the first level/section of the “traditional menu” but I guess there would be an cooler way, too.

But sorry: I have not found the place of this special setting “Places” of the old/traditional menu. Maybe you/someone could find the missing pieces to my fragmentary thinking/guessing and searching around??

In the GNOME Documentation Library I found only the following:
Customizing Menus and (I have not tested it myself - I am just content with the slab/“Main menue”. The names for all the different menus I found a bit confusing. And especially I see only “applications”.

Maybe you could play a bit around (with a test user and after a snapshot?) and compare with the settings in openSUSE with those in fedora?

And under menu-Tag - openSUSE Forums (and also with the search function) you could find similar treads - maybe e. g. the alternatives under How can I configure the GNOME Slab menu? (seems to me not only related the menu in the thread’s title) would satisfy your needs?

Good luck!
pistazienfresser

That seems to be a work-a-round…to compare the "Traditional Main Menu"s settings xml file of Fedora to openSuse’s and manually adapt the part regarding “Places”…but that’s to much hassle for me (not a fan of manual changes to gui system files :slight_smile: