Sun Virtualbox

Hi all

Im trying to instal Sun Virtualbox but when download completes and I click on install I get the following error

>>Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

I wont even bother with this software if there are others out there that are as easy to use. I used it on Windows and thought it was great ! (thats how I eventually switched to Linux, by using it virtually at first).

Thanks

Here Oracle VM VirtualBox - Downloads you can download an rpm for Suse

You can add the repository Index of /repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_11.3 and install virtualbox from there.
And here is a link on how to install Virtualbox in opensuse. But this is in German, google translate may help you.

And just in case if you want to know about other virtualization software…there is VMware, vmware-player being free. It will be also available in the repos. The others are xen and KVM, but if you are new to Linux then Virtualbox and VMware are just right.

Hi

I downloaded and installed Oracleś Virtualbox. When I tried running it I got an error message saying

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

So I went to terminal and: sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

but then I get the following error message:

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules done
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules failed
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

So I looked at /var/log/vbox-install.log

and this is what it reads:

/usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/build_in_tmp: line 55: make: command not found

What now?

Thanks

You need to install the base development tools. In Yast software manager, filter by patterns and look for Base Development. Install gcc, make, gcc-c++. You’ll also need the kernel source (Linux Kernel Development -> kernel-source, kernel-syms.)

On openSUSE, you can use this script for that purpose: automatically recompile kernel modules after kernel update

• of course, you need do install the packages mentionned before. btw I don’t think you need kernel-source (it doesn’t hurt to install it though) but you need kernel-devel and kernel-desktop-devel (or kernel-default-devel, depending on what you’re using).