Screensaver headaches

I’m using OpenSuSE 11.3, and as far as I can see, my screensaver and power management applications do not work properly. I want to disable the DPMS entirely, and for the screensaver to kick in after the appropriate amount of inactivity.

I prefer using Menu → Configure Desktop → General → Desktop → Screen Saver, using a slideshow, set to activate after 40 minutes.

When I use "xset dpms 0 0 0 " or “xset -dpms” to deactivate the screen blanking entirely, this also shuts off the screensaver. I’ve found no setting or combination of settings within Menu → Configure Desktop → Advanced → Power Management that shut off screen blanking at all – it’s xset or nothing. Doing “xset dpms 1000000” (for example) would be acceptable, except that the maximum value allowed is 16960, or 4.71 hours, which is unacceptable to me. I want unlimited screensaver time, with no screen blanking.

Is there a way of kickstarting the internal screensaver while DPMS is disabled by, say, using a command line in a shell script filed in .kde4/Autostart?

Thanks!

W4E

I remember that there was a thread in these forums about disabling the screensaver completely. It involved several steps. Maybe you can locate it with the search option.

The OP doesn’t want to disable the screensaver completely, just screen blanking like I would also like to do.

I wasn’t aware of xset -dpms so will try that next. I already have all Power Management settings that I can find disabled and that doesn’t help.

Correct! I found those threads which prescribe how to disable the screensaver itself, and read through them hoping to find clues as to how to do the exact opposite. No dice. :wink:

If you wish to make it so that you don’t have to run that command manually every time, open a new file (I called mine “xset.sh”), and enter:

#!/bin/sh

xset -dpms

# end xset.sh

Save and close, then move your new .sh file to ~/.kde4/Autostart/ … the next time you login to that user account, you should have no screen blanking. Good luck!

W4E

Guys if you’re using KDE, which reads like the case, try this:

1. Kmenu>Configure Desktop
    2.click the advanced tab
    3.Look for a Light Bulb icon listed as Power Management
    4.Under General Settings it’ll open to the Settings and Profiles
    5.Under the Profile Assignment where it says When AC Adaptor is plugged in click the dropdown & select Presentation
    That’ll stop the blanking & keep your screensaver running, I’ve sometimes left it going for 2 hours.

I appreciate the suggestion – but it’s something I’ve already tried. However, I did try it again following your post, on the off-chance that I’d missed something. Unfortunately, it has no effect. The screen still blanks out after about 10 minutes.

And, I was pretty sure it’s KDE to which I was referring, but, it’s not exactly labeled as such, and I’m not sure where to dig to make that ID. :slight_smile:

W4E

I created that file and placed it in the directory specified. Upon login, the file does not run. It is opened with emacs. If I try to run “./xset.sh” manually, I get a permission denied message. I have given the file read-write permissions and also marked it as executable. Not sure what I am doing wrong. If I run the commands in a terminal, all is well and it seems to work. But I would like a way to automate it to avoid having to so it manually each time.

Ooops! My “home” directory is not on the system drive. I moved the file to the root directory and made a symlink to it in .kde/Autostart. That made it work.