Thread: How do I delete a key in gconf-editor?

Question How do I delete a key in gconf-editor?

Hello,

I have been installing and uninstalling stuff about mouse properties and xorg.conf mouse section... and now I have several "extra" keys in gconf, exactly these:
    /desktop/gnome/peripherals
    /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard
    /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse
    /desktop/gnome/peripherals/Mouse0
    /desktop/gnome/peripherals/SynPS@47@2@32@Synaptics@32@TouchPad
    /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad

I think that the one about SynPS(str.ange characters)... is installed by gpointing-device-settings, Mouse0 is the default name in my xorg.conf...

So, I would like to delete (to clean it a little) the keys: mouse and touchpad... but there is no option in gconf-editor to delete (you can just set or unset)

I found that in ~/.gconf directory I can find almost the same I find inside gconf-editor, but if i delete the key from here it do not delete from gconf-editor really.

Hope someone can give me some tips about this...

Thanks,

Default Re: How do I delete a key in gconf-editor?

Even if you delete it from your configuration (~/.gconf) those values are still needed for gconf to work properly. So when it doesn't find any values set by user, it use default values - that's why you cannot delelete it using gconf-editor.
    So when you want to change some value - change it using gconf-editor. When you want to use default values - use gconf-editor and Unset Key option (or delete it in you ~/.gconf directory).

Quote Originally Posted by sebadamus View Post
    So, I would like to delete (to clean it a little) the keys: mouse and touchpad... but there is no option in gconf-editor to delete (you can just set or unset)
    I would not care about that. This is not the Windows registry.

I found that in ~/.gconf directory I can find almost the same I find inside gconf-editor, but if i delete the key from here it do not delete from gconf-editor really.
    gconf-editor shows you everything, not just the few user (read/write) preferences saved in ~/.gconf. Everything else is read only and can be set system wide by the administrator in the directory defined in /etc/gconf/2/local-defaults.path (if you created one) or by default in the directories specified in /etc/gconf/2/path.

Lightbulb Re: How do I delete a key in gconf-editor?

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    I would not care about that. This is not the Windows registry.

gconf-editor shows you everything, not just the few user (read/write) preferences saved in ~/.gconf. Everything else is read only and can be set system wide by the administrator in the directory defined in /etc/gconf/2/local-defaults.path (if you created one) or by default in the directories specified in /etc/gconf/2/path.
    You got me! used to be a window$ user but fortunately I could completely migrate to OpenSuse! (almost, some synaptics touchpad compatibility problem on my hp dv7 but learning how to solve them with synclient)

I still do not understand the gconf way of working... can you give me some links you know about (I googled it but my penguin is still puzzled )

I tried to use gconf-cleaner (beware of it because it deletes almost every settings not just the unused ones, fortunately I backuped the gconf to xml before running this program)

I promise to post anything else useful I found here...

Thanks for you help guys,

I also cannot find any usefull gconf documentation on the web beside the gconf site:
    GConf configuration system
    But try manual pages of gconf-editor and espessialy gconftool-2, it will point you to the right direction.

I still do not understand the gconf way of working... can you give me some links you know about (I googled it but my penguin is still puzzled )
    Have a look at the GNOME Desktop System Administration Guide in Gnome Help.

I tried to use gconf-cleaner (beware of it because it deletes almost every settings not just the unused ones, fortunately I backuped the gconf to xml before running this program)
    I wasn't aware of such a program. It must have been written by an ex-Windows user. You can manipulate (set/unset/get) key values with the CLI program gconftool-2. See man gconftool-2

Example:
    • look at the title bar button layout (system default):
      Code:
      gconftool-2  --get /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
    • modify it (buttons on the left):
      Code:
      gconftool-2  --type string --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout "close,maximize,minimize:menu"
    • changes have been written in the file ~/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml
    • Now, put the buttons back to the right:
      Code:
      gconftool-2  --type string --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
    • The key has been modified in ~/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml but has not been deleted: it just overwrites the default now with the same value (but get evaluated first).
    • or you can delete the key with
      Code:
      gconftool-2  --unset /apps/metacity/general/button_layout
    • But you can only delete keys in your ~/.gconf, i.e values you modified yourself.

Really I wouldn't care about "cleaning" gconf keys. It doesn't make anything cleaner nor faster. If some application (or even the whole gnome desktop) settings bother you, just use the Midnight Commander (mc) in a terminal, browse the ~/.gconf directory and delete the corresponding directory. It would reset this application to its default (or even the whole gnome desktop if you delete ~/.gconf).