Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: keep the system up to date

  1. #1

    Default keep the system up to date

    hi,

    i have noticed that the apps in the suse repos are kinda out-dated,like banshee is 1.6.0 while the latest is 1.8 same thing for amarok and some stuff,so am trying to keep all the packages up to date from the repositories,i added most of the repos and factory types that should make the system up to date,but to no avail.

    can anyone help me on updating the system and the application ?

    PS i also added the 3 repos for kde 4.5 sc to update to 4.5 but still i didn't receive any update notice from the software manager.

    help is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : keep the system up to date

    Hi,

    It is a matter of time and manpower. Packagers need time to package and push newer version of apps. So don't be surprised it isn't available yet. It is the case with banshee.

    For de kde45, you have to do it yourself. yast->install/remove software->repo tab->select kde 45 stable and click the switch packages.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Re : keep the system up to date

    Quote Originally Posted by DaaX View Post
    Hi,

    It is a matter of time and manpower. Packagers need time to package and push newer version of apps. So don't be surprised it isn't available yet. It is the case with banshee.

    For de kde45, you have to do it yourself. yast->install/remove software->repo tab->select kde 45 stable and click the switch packages.
    oh right,thanks alot daax,but theres a minor issue,some packages will get downgraded if i tried to switch the packages to the ones in the repos,is that ok ? or ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Re: Re : keep the system up to date

    It depends? I don't think that upgrading kde will downgrade any app you have. When you clcik tghe switch packages link in yast, chech the list of modified packages and see if there is one you don't want to see downgraded. In my opinion, it shouldn't be an issue here.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re : Re: Re : keep the system up to date

    what about switching older apps with new versions like in KDE repositories - openSUSE

    i'll also look at the list and see if there something i dont want to downgrade,but i was just wondering if its ok or not to upgrade in general

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : keep the system up to date

    I upgraded form kde 4.4.4 to 4.5.3 without an itch. It's up to you, but kde 4.5.3 really rocks for me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : keep the system up to date

    Quote Originally Posted by DaaX View Post
    I upgraded form kde 4.4.4 to 4.5.3 without an itch. It's up to you, but kde 4.5.3 really rocks for me.
    alright thanks for all the yelp

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: keep the system up to date

    On 2010-11-04 19:36, AlaaHossam wrote:

    > i added most of the repos and factory types that should
    > make the system up to date,but to no avail.


    Be careful if you start adding too many repos. Some are stable, some are
    not, and some create conflicts.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •