Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: URGENT Desktop Problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cosmos
    Posts
    5

    Default URGENT Desktop Problem

    Hello Friends, i have a serious problem,i using opensuse 11.3 (KDE Desktop) accidently i deleted my desktop task at all, all panel carachters and desktop figures gone... ( then i added a new panel again but i want my all settings.. is there any way to turn previous settings on desktop??? or how to turn default setting

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : URGENT Desktop Problem

    Hi,

    To have a default panel, I think you have to erase the file /home/login_name/.kde4.

    Quit you're session and start a new one. It should recreate new .kde4 directory and revert to default settings for you're plamsa desktop.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cosmos
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Re : URGENT Desktop Problem

    if i do this operation is my programs or anything will get damage? or something will be erased?? i can't risk it because there is many seirous and important programs (((

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: URGENT Desktop Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by ozantekin1 View Post
    Hello Friends, i have a serious problem,i using opensuse 11.3 (KDE Desktop) accidently i deleted my desktop task at all, all panel carachters and desktop figures gone... ( then i added a new panel again but i want my all settings.. is there any way to turn previous settings on desktop??? or how to turn default setting
    Deleted what exactly? It's not entirely clear.
    The panel can be added back, but if you deleted your .kde4 folder, all your settings are gone.
    Main Panel - Windows Live
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Re: Re : URGENT Desktop Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by ozantekin1 View Post
    if i do this operation is my programs or anything will get damage? or something will be erased?? i can't risk it because there is many seirous and important programs (((
    Yep, it'll erase other settings.

    In this case, you'll have to reset the panel manually.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: URGENT Desktop Problem

    DaaX wrote:
    > To have a default panel, I think you have to erase the file
    > /home/login_name/.kde4.


    my personal opinion is to never advise anyone to delete such a
    directory--just too much good stuff in there (yes, i know such quick
    fixes are proposed and advised by many, but not me)..

    instead, rename it..

    that way noting is actually lost and, the system will auto-build a new
    ..kde, and if that 'fix' doesn't work the other user can go right back
    to where they were before..

    make sense?

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: URGENT Desktop Problem

    I think there is some misunderstanding here between ozantekin1 and DaaX.

    When you @ozantekin1 say: "if i do this operation is my programs or anything will get damage?". The answer is: NO, this will not damage your data (like letters you wrote, music you have, programs you wrote,etc).

    When @DaaX says: "Yep, it'll erase other settings." He means that deleting your .kde directory from your home directory will remove all individual settings you made to the KDE desktop and other KDE programs. Thus these will all revert to heir default settings. That is why Denver advises not to delete, but to rename .kde4. You can then always either revert completely, or restore parts (e.g. your Kmail configuration).
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Re: URGENT Desktop Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When @DaaX says: "Yep, it'll erase other settings." He means that deleting your .kde directory from your home directory will remove all individual settings you made to the KDE desktop and other KDE programs. Thus these will all revert to heir default settings. That is why Denver advises not to delete, but to rename .kde4. You can then always either revert completely, or restore parts (e.g. your Kmail configuration).
    Yeah! You're right, I was a little quick on this one.... sorry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cosmos
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Re : Re: URGENT Desktop Problem

    thanks friends.. but i am still scearing to make this operation.. because since 1 week we have been installed many program for my workings (particle acclerator works) ... i really don't know what to do.. i just want to push a buton and make default settings to my KDE desktop... ****n!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: Re : Re: URGENT Desktop Problem

    just want to push a buton and make default settings to my KDE desktop..
    As said: start a Konsole terminal and type
    Code:
    mv .kde4 .kde4-saved
    then log out of the GUI and log in again.

    When login in the GUI is not possible (or if you can not start the Konsole terminal), then use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you will see the concole on your screen with a login prompt. Login with your normal username. It will ask for your password. While typing this, you will see no echo (not ** or same), that is OK. Then type the
    Code:
    mv .kde4 .kde4-saved
    and then type
    Code:
    exit
    A reboot is not realy needed, but may be the simplest thing to do now. Login in the GUI and see of you got your default KDE.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •