Google earth install

Hello, I just downloaded the GoogleEarth.bin and tried it to install with sudo sh, but it said that I wasn’t running an x-server, does anybody know how I can get this to work?

grtz, Frank

There is no need to run googleEarth as a root user to install it. Download the latest version into your home area. Open up terminal, switch to its folder and run:

sh ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

We did run into one glitch recently and so read the following thread on the subject:

For those having problems with Google Earth 5.2 Crashing

Thank You,

I want to add that it is probably not possible to install it “as root”, in other words, to install it systemwide for all users.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that Google does not understand how Unix/Liinux systems function. Thus an install of GoogleEarth as a poduct somewhere in systemspace (e.g. inside* /opt* or* /usr/local*) to be available for all users is impossible. Every single user has to do this for himself (as outlined above) and the program is thereafter in his userspace (home directory).

This is of course not a desirable situation. I few weeks ago I had to install GoogleEarth thrice on the same system for three different users there (a grandfather for whome I install and manage openSUSE and his two grandchildren).

That’s strange, I have it under /opt available to any user. I su to root when I install it, could it be sudo that makes the difference?

Using su or sudo is only a question of personal taste.

I am glad you share your experience. I am in fact eager to go for some exprimenting here, but I have to go on a vacation for three weeks (this not being bad as such :wink: ).
May be there is a test somewhere that checks who runs it and that then decides on* /opt* or* $HOME* as place to use. I definitely will try to install it system wide when I am back.

Not in my experience with default setup. Try running SuSEconfig with sudo?

When you return, in the meantime have an excellent holiday. :slight_smile:

Hi consused, I agree on that. I just tested to install it with sudo and got the same eror as frank, so frank your options are to either install it as your normal user or su to root and install it.
Check if you get installed under /opt if you use the su option.

Hi, hank. Thanks for confirmation. I don’t have google earth installed, so downloading it to also try to install with su -.

Does that mean it has to be downloaded and placed in /root?

No just download it to your users download folder and make it executable.

consused wrote:

>
> Hi, hank. Thanks for confirmation. I don’t have google earth installed,
> so downloading it to also try to install with su -.
>
> Does that mean it has to be downloaded and placed in /root?
>
>
It does not need to be placed in root.
I installed it some time ago systemwide with kdesu it is then important to
give the full path like

kdesu /home/martinh/Downloads/GoogleEarthLinux.bin

openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.5 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.5 | Quadro FX
3600M | 4GB Ram

A lot of answers to make here :wink:

Thanks for tthe holliday wellwishes.

I do not have the habit of using sudo, thus I may be wrong, but in principle they do the same things (except that sudo can use a configuration fle with "special effects). But it may depend on the options you use with the call. As @consused, you should use* su -.* I took a short glance at* man sudo* and itseems that sudo -i is the one that also makes uses a login shell.
And as allready answered, no it does of course not matter where the program is when root executes it.

And, as it is a binary executable (check that with the file tool, I do nothave a recent download here), it is completelyy superfluous to call it with* sh*. The POSIX shell has nothing to do with it. Make it excecutable and execute it like every other program.

For some reason, unknown to me, this thread was closed. I reopened it. I do not see the slightest reason why it should be closed. All contibuters here are behaving correctly (maybe even me) (and it is an interesting thread).

Thanks for those replies, but I get this error after it claimed a successful install into /opt (used “su -” in terminal):

./googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libGL.so.1 is in /usr/lib64.

Any ideas welcome?

PS. Noticed it closed when I first tried to post this one.

You need to start it with the script googleearth, that sets up the paths and other stuff before it calls the executable googleearth-bin.

I see the script file /opt/google-earth/googleearth and executed it as normal user (also tried it as su -), but same error both cases, as with initial install which presumably ran that script.

./googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

hcvv wrote:
> For some reason, unknown to me, this thread was closed. I reopened it. I
> do not see the slightest reason why it should be closed. All contibuters
> here are behaving correctly (maybe even me) (and it is an interesting
> thread).

i think maybe it had something to do with almost nothing was moving
through to the nntp side…like the first post in this thread came
through here at 14:41 CET, this afternoon…though on the http side
it was posted sometime yesterday!

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

consused wrote:

>
> libGL.so.1 is in /usr/lib64.
>
> Any ideas welcome?
You need the 32bit ligGL is it in /usr/lib available on your system?

openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.5 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.5 | Quadro FX
3600M | 4GB Ram

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:15:28 +0000, DenverD wrote:

> i think maybe it had something to do with almost nothing was moving
> through to the nntp side

No, that has nothing to do with it. The gateway passes messages, and
that’s it. It doesn’t perform moderation operations.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Do you have 3D acceleration installed for your graphics?

Yes, DR is enabled etc. I assume this app will work with “intel” driver and a GMA 4500MHD, but maybe slowly. At least it should start, no?