Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Windows app which worked in 11.1 doesn't in 11.3

  1. #1

    Default Windows app which worked in 11.1 doesn't in 11.3

    I used to run an application named DBabble (client) through Wine back when I used 11.1. Then, the version of Dbabble client was 2.2h -I still have the exe-. Now I tried this same version on 11.3 with Wine, and this is what I got:
    ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

    Latest version of the client is 2.9i, and this one seems to work fine, but the server I want to connect needs client 2.2h. I thought it was the Wine version, but a friend tried the exe in a system with 11.1 and latest Wine, and it worked for him.
    So there's probably a change in 11.3 that broke this app under Wine. Is there a solution or workaround for this on 11.3? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,843

    Default Re: Windows app which worked in 11.1 doesn't in 11.3

    Didn't have this problem but make sure you and your friend are talking about the same "last" version, as Update repo has 1.1.9-1.11 and Wine repo has 1.3.6-1.1 (with is a development version, not stable), and both are different from OSS repo (1.1.9-1.10).

    Note: Those are from the 11.1 repos, yours may differ.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,843

    Default Re: Windows app which worked in 11.1 doesn't in 11.3

    Also note that it's not unusual for thing to "break" between wine versions - much less than the 0.x versions, but it still happens.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Windows app which worked in 11.1 doesn't in 11.3

    Of course both of us have the same latest version of Wine (1.3.6). It worked for him in 11.1, didn't work for me in 11.3, hence the screenshot.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: Windows app which worked in 11.1 doesn't in 11.3

    F style wrote:

    >
    > Of course both of us have the same latest version of Wine (1.3.6). It
    > worked for him in 11.1, didn't work for me in 11.3, hence the
    > screenshot.
    >


    "worked for him" == configuration hw/sw #1
    "didn't work for me" == configuration hw/sw #2

    There's a LOT of assumptions made by wine.. and the underlying config
    matters quite a bit and can make the difference between "working" and "non
    working".

    For example, the depth and resolution of the display can matter (just an
    example). There's a ton of variables.

    Not saying this it the cause of the problem... but it could be.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •