Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Multiple File selection for KDE

  1. #1

    Default Multiple File selection for KDE

    Greetings All,

    Although I consider myself a logical person, I cannot for the life of me figure out
    what the logic Dolphin uses for selecting multiple files.

    If I am viewing a large number of files, I want to select a subset without having
    to click each file one-by-one. The way things USED to work in KDE 3.5:

    Select the first file. Move the mouse to the last file, press SHIFT while clicking the
    file, and all the files starting with the first one selected up to the last one are selected.

    In KDE4, performing the above technique produces a random selection. Sometimes,
    the desired results occur. Frequently, the first few files are deselected. More frequently, files BELOW the last one are highlighted, and only a few above stay selected.

    Can some kind soul tell me what logic is used for multiple file selection? Is there a better way to select a range of files?


    Thanx in advance.


    Rich

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    So I have not noticed this behavior in KDE. I am using KDE 4.4.4. You did not say which version you are using. Perhaps you have come upon a bug of some sort that needs to be given to KDE? In the old days of KDE 3.5, I used Konqueror instead of Dolphin and it still exists, if you have it installed. The command to use Konqueror as a file manager is:

    Code:
    kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
    and as super user you can use (or as an icon, just set to run as root):
    Code:
    kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
    Another interesting thing to do is to run Konqueror as root with sysinfo, which is the My Computer icon on the desktop, but run as root. This actually yields slightly different memory usages.

    Code:
    kdesu kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing sysinfo:/
    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by richardrosa View Post
    Greetings All,

    Although I consider myself a logical person, I cannot for the life of me figure out
    what the logic Dolphin uses for selecting multiple files.

    If I am viewing a large number of files, I want to select a subset without having
    to click each file one-by-one. The way things USED to work in KDE 3.5:

    Select the first file. Move the mouse to the last file, press SHIFT while clicking the
    file, and all the files starting with the first one selected up to the last one are selected.

    In KDE4, performing the above technique produces a random selection. Sometimes,
    the desired results occur. Frequently, the first few files are deselected. More frequently, files BELOW the last one are highlighted, and only a few above stay selected.

    Can some kind soul tell me what logic is used for multiple file selection? Is there a better way to select a range of files?


    Thanx in advance.


    Rich
    It does still work the way you describe
    As already mentioned. What version of openSUSE and kde4?
    Is this a old /home you are using?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,136

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    I encounter the sameproblems as @richardrosa. openSUSE 11.2 and KDE 4.3.5.

    And it happens in both Dolphin and Konqueror. I am unable to foresee what will happen when I click around.

    May be I should add that I have not enabled the double click "feature".
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    It does still work the way you describe
    As already mentioned. What version of openSUSE and kde4?
    Is this a old /home you are using?
    I am using Suse 11.3, and KDE reports version 4.4.4. A new /home directory was created when I installed 11.3.

    I did try upgrading to 4.5 at one point in an attempt to fix this and some of the many other vexing KDE problems.
    Unfortunately, Dolphin in 4.5 kept crashing, so I moved the system back to 4.4.


    Rich

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    I tried to do a video to see if this is what you mean
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/file-select.mpeg
    Last edited by caf4926; 01-Nov-2010 at 02:46. Reason: typo
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,136

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    I am afraid I can not generate such a nice movie (at least I do not know how), but I clicked around somewhat and came to the following conclusion.

    First I use the "details" view of such tools, thus all items are one above the other and I do not have to bother if items between two items should be selected according to following rows, columns or within a rectangle.

    . When I click an itiem it is selected and it opens;
    . when I Ctrl-click, it is selected;
    . when I Shift click another one, it and all in betweens are also selected.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,278
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    IMO the issue is simply getting used to the "single click opens" behavior when the User is coming from an environment when single click means "select" and a double-click means "open."

    If you look at it that way, then any workarounds should be more or less obvious...

    As hcvv notes, the first step is to somehow establish a starting point, but you don't have to left click a file (which by default opens), you can instead rt-click to open the context sensitive menu, then click on open space somewhere (careful not to click on a clickable object) to close the context sensitive menu but leaving the file selected.

    After establishing the starting point, then you can use either the CTL-CLK or SHFT-CLK methods to individually select or select all files between.

    Also, it should be noted that the "lasso" method works in various situations (eg both File Manager and Folder View Widget), start your click on an empty space, then without lifting your finger, drag diagonally across various files to select all, then lifting your finger to complete the click action.

    Also, as noted, file selection generally should depend on how the files are displayed. If behavior is still counter-intuitive, then you may be looking at something I'm not.

    HTH,
    Tony

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,136

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    @tsu2 This is a rather good description and clarification of my observations. Thank you.

    I can aknowledge that th "lasso" method works in Icon View, but not in Details View, which seems not illogical to me.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10

    Default Re: Multiple File selection for KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I tried to do a video to see if this is what you mean
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/file-select.mpeg
    This is the gist of what I am trying to do, but I am attempting this in Details view. I should also add that I have been using the "+" icon on the
    first item to select it. Sometimes it works as expected (about 50% of the time). It always selects a range, just not the range I expected.

    Rich

    Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •