Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

  1. #1

    Exclamation 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    hello, friends.
    i just installed 11.3 from live cd--after a recent update basically wiped my whole 11.2 setup into oblivion.

    ..i want to say that i like 11.3 better, however, i have not had a chance to even use it...
    ....after installation, and then updating and adding repos, i tried to install a couple programs through yast. on the three occasions of trying, the computer crashed--screen goes blank, the CAP/NUM lock lights flash on and off.
    ..i tried to install adobe reader from their site two times, and the same thing happened twice--screen goes blank, the CAP/NUM lock lights flash on and off.

    i'm just beginning to get my computer back in order, after my 11.2 died.
    and since installing 11.3, i can even begin to begin!!

    will someone please help me diagnose and resolve this?
    let me know what you need to know, and i will do my best to help you help me.

    -->sbkra

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,527
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    Quote Originally Posted by sabaka View Post
    let me know what you need to know, and i will do my best to help you help me.
    We need to know details on your hardware ... what graphics (exact card ... ) , what graphic driver were you using ? If this is a laptop which model.

    Did you do the md5sum comparison of the downloaded ISO file (before burning) against the md5sum posted on the openSUSE web site? If so, did the numbers match? When you burned the CD did you burn it on the same PC as you tried to install ? If you burned it on a different PC, was the age of their CD drives reasonably similar ? Did you burn at the slowest speed your burner allow to a high quality media (not some bargain basement sale CD). Did you burn to a CD +/- R and not to a CD RW ? Did you run the mediacheck on the installation CD before burning? Did it pass ?

    Did you try running with the boot code 'nomodeset' for a while and see if your system is more stable with that ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,527
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Did you try running with the boot code 'nomodeset' for a while and see if your system is more stable with that ?
    This is what I mean : File:Nomodeset-example.jpg - openSUSE

  4. #4

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    ..it just crashed again, while testing the video on hulu..

    ...i'm still learning about these resolution process in linux, so you will have to tell me which commands to use to get specific info.
    but:
    i'm running a laptop, which ran 11.0 and then 11.2 over the past 2-3 years. i did an update of 11.2 the thursday/friday before this past thursday/friday; afterward, upon booting, the system said it "could not mount root filesystem", etc.
    so, after failing to recover, i decided to install 11.3--which i did today.

    it is an older dell latitude, 55GB HD, 500MB RAM.
    graphics card is ATI Radeon LW. driver is "radeon".

    i did not do the md5sum, because i've never done it and had no knowledge to do so...i burned from a separate pc, at the slowest speed allowed, onto CD-R...i did not run mediacheck, because i did not think to do it, as i havent done that since i first killed xp and installed 11.0.
    ...i did not do the "nomodeset", because i'm unfamiliar with that, coming from 11.2 and all. i have no clue what it is for, nor in what situations to use it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,527
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    Quote Originally Posted by sabaka View Post
    it is an older dell latitude, 55GB HD, 500MB RAM.
    graphics card is ATI Radeon LW. driver is "radeon".
    Dependant on how deep we need to go, we will need to know EXACTLY what Dell Latitude model, and we will need to know EXACTLY what ATI Radeon card. (is LW a specific Radeon card model? )

    Quote Originally Posted by sabaka View Post
    i did not do the md5sum, because i've never done it and had no knowledge to do so...
    You need to do this! You should read our HowTo guide on this: NEW Users - openSuse Pre-install (general) – PLEASE READ ... please read post#2 on that!

    Quote Originally Posted by sabaka View Post
    ...i did not run mediacheck, because i did not think to do it,
    You need to do this. Please do so now.

    Quote Originally Posted by sabaka View Post
    ...i did not do the "nomodeset", because i'm unfamiliar with that, coming from 11.2 and all. i have no clue what it is for, nor in what situations to use it.
    If you installed, then you would have noted the install told you about an openSUSE-11.3 release note that you were supposed to read. This is described in the release note for 11.3. I gave you a pix above as to where to apply the "nomodeset".

  6. #6

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    ...this is a Dell Latitude C640.
    the graphics card is an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
    the 2D driver is "radeon".
    the 3D driver is "R100 classic (7.8.2)".

    ..mediacheck is ok.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,527
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    Quote Originally Posted by sabaka View Post
    ...this is a Dell Latitude C640.
    the graphics card is an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
    the 2D driver is "radeon".
    the 3D driver is "R100 classic (7.8.2)".

    ..mediacheck is ok.
    Do have you special desktop effects enabled ? If so, disable them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,529

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    it is an older dell latitude, 55GB HD, 500MB RAM.
    I remember that I did install 11.3 on an old Shuttle Barebone with 500MB RAM with KDE as desktop environment. It was freezing after a short time, probably for lack of enough RAM. This could be part of your problem too.
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

  9. #9

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Do have you special desktop effects enabled ? If so, disable them.
    no, i do not.
    i haven't even gotten that far...

    edit: btw, i booted in "nomodeset" and it ended up freezing, just like it did on the session immediately before that. both of these frozen sessions, however, were actually frozen screens, not the "blank/blinking" that i originally said was happening..

  10. #10

    Default Re: 11.3 crashed 5 times(!!!) within 25 minutes...UGH!

    Quote Originally Posted by vodoo View Post
    I remember that I did install 11.3 on an old Shuttle Barebone with 500MB RAM with KDE as desktop environment. It was freezing after a short time, probably for lack of enough RAM. This could be part of your problem too.
    is 11.3 that much more resource-greedy than 11.2?
    i was running 11.2 with many apps, and with full desktop effects, etc., and it was running well enough for over a year.
    ...all i've done so far with 11.3 is install, update, add repositories, and add the broadcom firmware. nothing more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •