Thread: Login Theme Change

Default Login Theme Change

I have a desktop running
    Code:
    Linux PVE-LinuxSRV5 2.6.34.7-0.4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-10-07 19:07:51 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    and KDE4.5.2

I decided to try changing the Login Theme.

I opened Personal Settings - System Administration-Login Screen-Theme Tab, selected a new theme, selected Apply and entered the root password. All seemed well, and I see the changes entered in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc.

When testing with a reboot, no change.

I then (after searching about a bit) opened Yast - System-/etc/sysconfig Editor and made the same change to the DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME= variable.

With this, after reboot, the change was effective.

Is this the correct behavior?

Should I assume that we are stuck in mid-transition with kdmrc defining some parameters and /etc/sysconfig/displaymanger others?

Or do I have something else misconfigured?

Default Re: Login Theme Change

I just tried it. Though after reading your post I went to Yast 1st then Configure Desktop. I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time in that regard cmcgrath5053 I thank you.
    As to it's correctness it probably is OK every distro has its quirks this is one of OpenSuSe's.
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

WFM for a single session then went to defaults, sorry
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Here is the link that you can look at to change your KDM login theme.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/applications/443537-change-kdm-login-screen.html

Cheers!
    etech97

Sagemta - That is strange that it would only work for one session. Try this:
    Code:
    ~> cat /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager |grep DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME
    #DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME="SUSE"
    DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME="suse-elegant"

~> cat /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc |grep elegant
    Theme=/usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/suse-elegant

~> ls -l /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes
    total 28
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-10-19 12:03 circles                                                                                                             
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-10-19 12:03 ethais                                                                                                              
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-10-19 12:03 oxygen                                                                                                              
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-10-19 12:03 oxygen-air                                                                                                          
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-10-25 11:47 sunstKDM                                                                                                            
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-07-06 01:51 SUSE                                                                                                                
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-10-25 13:32 suse-elegant
    suse_elegant is the theme I downloaded and installed, SUSE was installed by the distro as the default.

etch97 - Thanks for the reference to the prior post. Confirms what I had to do for now. I can add that as of right now, for 11.3 and KDE 4.5.2, the download and install process for new themes is sort of broken.

Here is what worked for me:

1. Launch Personal Settings- System Administration - Login Screen - Theme tab
    2. To use an already installed theme, skip down to step 9.
    3.Select Get New Theme. A new window will open, look around for a theme you want to try.
    4. The Install button here does not seem to work. Instead, select the highlighted name of the theme you want and your default browser will open to its page on The Linux Portal - openDesktop.org.
    5.On The Linux Portal - openDesktop.org, select the download button, the archive (most are .tar.gz) will download to your default download location. On my Firefox, that is /home/username/Download. A system message will tell you when the download is complete.
    6. You are done with the browser page.
    7.Select Close on the "Get Hot New Stuff - System Settings" window.
    8.You should be back at Login Screen - System Settings Theme tab. Select "Install new theme". A Location window will open, type in path or browse to the theme archive you just downloaded (e.g. /home/username/Download/suse-elegant.tar.gz), select OK and the system will install the archive folder into /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes. The list of themes should update with your newly installed them.
    9. Select the new theme name from the list, then select apply and enter your root password. This step will update the config file kdmrc.
    10. Now you must change the DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME= variable in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager to match the name of the new theme. I use Yast - System - /etc/sysconfig Editor, or you can edit the file (as root). If you edit the file directly, you might need a SuSEconfig after (I'm never sure; Yast does it for you when necessary).
    11. On my system, I don't have to reboot; logging out restarts the login manager and should use the new theme. or reboot(restart the computer)

Good luck