Thread: i/O Slowing the desktop? Is this true for openSUSE as well?

Default i/O Slowing the desktop? Is this true for openSUSE as well?

Saw this on slashdot and curious as to how it applies to openSUSE.

Slashdot Ask Slashdot Story | The State of Linux IO Scheduling For the Desktop?

"I've used Linux as my work & play OS for 5+ years. The one thing that constantly drives me mad is its IO scheduling. When I'm copying a large amount of data in the background, everything else slows down to a crawl while the CPU utilization stays at 1-2%. The process which does the actual copying is highly prioritized in terms of I/O. This is completely unacceptable for a desktop OS. I've heard about the efforts of Con Kolivas and his Brain**** Scheduler, but it's unsupported now and probably incompatible with latest kernels. Is there any way to fix this? How do you deal with this? I have a feeling that if this issue was to be fixed, the whole desktop would become way more snappier, even if you're not doing any heavy IO in the background."

Blog Entries

Default Re: i/O Slowing the desktop? Is this true for openSUSE as well?

Yes,
    You can modify the I/O Scheduling priority.

Possibly the easiest way to do this is if you're running KDE 4.x (or later).

1. Invoke System Activity by CTL-ESC
    2. Rt-click on the process you want to modify and select "Renice process..."

You'll see displayed graphically options (slide bar) to increase or decrease niceness (application priority) and the I/O Scheduler. Note that renice only advises the Schedular and is not a hard setting which would be dangerous. Also, increasing the application's priority beyond its default setting will prompt for root permissions.

HTH,
    Tony

I never observed what is described on slashdot. I/O very often needs a lot of CPU.

I can not confirm this behaviour - I often move huge files to another harddrive and still can work nicely meanwhile, even though files get encrypted when moving to this other HD. I also do not experience any slowdowns when copying files within the same partition.

Con Kolivas' approach was not aiming at I/O-scheduling (as in copying / moving files) but general desktop performance (as in process scheduling). After CK stopped working for the Kernel branch, this was implemented by Ingo Molnrs →Completely Fair Scheduler. The CFS is based on Con Kolivas' ideas.

On 2010-10-25 05:06, gropiuskalle wrote:
    >
    > I can not confirm this behaviour - I often move huge files to another
    > harddrive and still can work nicely meanwhile, even though files get
    > encrypted when moving to this other HD. I also do not experience any
    > slowdowns when copying files within the same partition.

I have. Not always, not all computers, not all file operations. But it happens.

Specially if you start using another application that "now" also needs some I/O. It certainly will
    run slower, as it has to compete - how much, depends.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)