Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: basic help for a noob, plz

Default basic help for a noob, plz

This is my second day trying to learn opensuse. My lack of termanology makes it very hard to google for the answers.
    I need to do this,
    opensuse:~ # yast2 install postgresql-server apache2 perl texlive perl-DBD-Pg libapr-util1-dbd-pgsql

I know about yast, however this looks like something that needs to ran from terminal. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: basic help for a noob, plz

Well, I don't know, but in terminal with OpenSUSE you could try the following:
    Code:
    sudo zypper install package
    where package stands naturally for the name of the package you would like to install.

Thanks for your reply. But I am so green at opensuse that went over my head. Would explain that in such a way that I might understan that, or direct me to where I can read about it? All the reading I have done is geared for someone that has some prior knowledge. thanks

I will suppose you have opensuse running.
    I also do the assumption that you are able to follow English language well, if you prefer any of the following you may tell me and we shift: Italian, German, French, Spanish.
    You should be in front of your desktop. You see the lizard-start-like button on the left low corner of the screen. In "preferred" you open a terminal window.
    Yast is a GUI for software installation. You can invoke it from this menu too. The only difference is that it is more comfortable to use for a user wanting to do things with the mouse.
    If you want to use the command line you will not use yast. You will use an interesting (and to some way more comfortable) programme that allow the installation of software from the command line.
    Any software from the command line has a help-function. You write the name of the package and write behind it --help
    E.g.
    Code:
    zypper --help
    This will give you the following output for zypper:
    Code:
    tilizzo:
            zypper [--opzione-globale] <comando> [--opzioni-del-comando] [argomenti]

Opzioni Globali:
            --help, -h              Aiuto.
            --version, -V           Restituisce il numero della versione.
            --quiet, -q             Elimina l'output convenzionale, stampa solo i messaggi
                                    di errore.
    yadda, yadda, yadda... and so on and so forth.
    To have a list that does respect the length of your screen you shall write:
    Code:
    zypper -h | less
    Where the first is the command for the program "zypper" and you tell him "zypper show me a help on what you can do".
    The "|" sign is called "pipe" and in Unix it serves to concatenate two different commands. E.g. you want the help but here you have too much output. So you tell the PC: hey, show me all the commands of zypper, but do not go too quick and show me screen by screen only. The pipe is to be read like "and in the same time respect / execute the following". In order to advance in such a screen created with the command "less" you will press the space button. Every time you hit space, the list of commands will advance one screen.
    You can try the difference between:
    Code:
    zypper -h
    or
    Code:
    zypper -help
    there should be no difference, and
    Code:
    zypper -h | less
    which will show you the command options page by page.
    Tell me if this is understandable.

Thank you so much!!! That gives me a starting point and helps alot. I think I will like the command line better than the gui. I really want to get away from microsoft

Looks like I am going to have some fun this weekend. Thanks for the links.

While I apreciate your whish to learn how to do things from the command line, keep in mind that YaST (the GUI and the ncurses interface) are very usefull in many points. In the case of managing software there is a rather one to one translation to zypper because zypper is a powerfull tool itself (in handling dependencies, etc.). But for other tasks YaST does a lot "under the hood" that else you should know about and do manualy.

As an example, you can use YaST > System > Partitioning to create a parrtition, make a file system on it and mount it at the place of your choice (and letting that be done at every boot) by filling in the bits in the GUI. Alone the fact that things are asked for in the GUI makes that you do not forget about important things. And when all is filled n and you say GO, Yast Will use the equivalence of several tools and configuration fiiles (with suitable defaults) without you having to learn them all:
    . fdisk
    . mkfs
    . mkdir
    . /etc/fstab
    . mount
    I do not say it can't be learned, but it is a lot to start before you can do these things without forgetting something, puzzling about what to use for parameters which YaST fiills in without asking, etc.

In short, it is fun to learn all these things, but do not forget that higher level management tools (like YaST) have their use also for system managers with years of experience.
    Henk van Velden

Wow, thanks for the info. I am very open to any and all help and information. I want to learn linux inside and out.

On 10/23/2010 07:36 AM, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > While I apreciate your whish to learn how to do things from the command
    > line, keep in mind that YaST (the GUI and the ncurses interface) are

snip

Yeah, what he said. You will see GUI use scoffed at a lot, but keep in
    mind that it's just another tool in the toolbox. What is really being
    spoken against is that you get a lot of people out there that *think*
    they know what they're doing because they know where to click. Problem
    is, they don't really understand what's going on 'under the hood'. In
    some cases, they can really foul up a system because they of the lack of