Vsftp is the same as SFTP?

Hello all,

I’ve been instructed to set up an sftp server this weekend. I was going to just use vsftpd b/c it’s awsome, but then someone said it’s supposed to use ssh. so here’s my question:

Is Vsftpd the same thing as Sftp? is it the same openssh protocol for encryption and file transport? I’ve set up Vsftpd before and it just uses port 21, and it doesn’t seem to ask all the same questions as ssh, so is it the same thing? or should/could I tunnel vsftpd through ssh?

Different things. vsftpd can support FTPS if configured, but SFTP runs over ssh.

Correct vsftp != sftp
However vsftp does support ftps (ftp over SSL)

Different technologies that do similar things. If you’re running ssh sftp is probably already enabled, you just need to work on creating your chroot jails and getting the directories and permissions setup (that was the main reason why I switched from sftp to vsftp running ftps, I didnt want to deal with getting all that configured properly).

Yes, I mentioned that.

Different technologies that do similar things. If you’re running ssh sftp is probably already enabled, you just need to work on creating your chroot jails and getting the directories and permissions setup (that was the main reason why I switched from sftp to vsftp running ftps, I didnt want to deal with getting all that configured properly).

Both have their pros and cons. FTPS is easier to configure for chroot jails, but SFTP is easier to configure for firewall forwarding.

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys.

I may setup vsftpd (Ftps) at the house for sharing files with my family (my dad, brother, etc…) but for the customer they’ve requested sftp specifically.

With that said, I’m thinking of going with proftp as it’s supports sftp as well as being supported in webmin (which is how the admin will be maintaining the box.) any recommendations on proftp or a better server to suggest?