Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA 260.19 Issues

Blog Entries

Default Re: NVIDIA 260.19 Issues

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    The real question to you is of course, why did you upgrade your video driver? Unless you plan on installing the new kernel, I would have stuck with the older nVidia driver.
    I think the new driver offers more than just support for the newer kernel. I note this from the nVidia site for the 260.19.12 driver: NVIDIA DRIVERS 260.19.12 Certified
    • Added support for the following GPUs:
      GeForce GTS 450
      GeForce GTX 460M
      GeForce GT 415M
      GeForce GT 425M
      GeForce GT 420M
      GeForce GT 435M
      Quadro 2000
      Quadro 600
    • Stopped installing OpenGL, VDPAU, CUDA, and OpenCL header files with the driver. Those interested in these files can get them from their Linux distributions' packages, where available, or upstream from:
      OpenGL header files (gl.h, glext.h glx.h, glxext.h):
      OpenGL Registry

VDPAU header files (vdpau.h and vdpau_x11.h):
      freedesktop.org - Software/VDPAU

CUDA and OpenCL header files (cuda.h, cudaGL.h, cudaVDPAU.h,
      cl.h, cl_gl.h, cl_platform.h):
      NVIDIA GPU Computing Developer Home Page

Note that while libvdpau.so is still included in 260.xx drivers, it will be removed from a future release series in early 2011. Distributors are encouraged to package libvdpau.so from freedesktop.org - Software/VDPAU

Note that OpenGL Registry does not presently provide gl.h or glx.h. Until that is resolved, NVIDIA's OpenGL " header files can still be chosen, through the “--opengl-headers” installer option.
    • Fixed the CustomEDID X configuration option so that it can handle EDID files from Linux procfs; e.g., /proc/acpi/video/IGPU/LCD0/EDID.
    • Fixed an interaction problem with a change in X server behavior that caused slow text rendering on X.Org xserver 1.9.
    • Enhanced VDPAU to support interop with CUDA and OpenGL when Xinerama is active.
    • Fixed a bug in VDPAU that prevented temporal-spatial de-interlacing from operating when temporal de-interlacing was not also enabled.
    • Added support for configuring the dithering depth used when driving a flat panel with a GeForce 8 family or Quadro 4600/5600 or newer GPU. See the "Dithering Controls" in the Flat Panel page in nvidia-settings.
    • Added support for the nvcuvid API.

nvcuvid provides a mechanism for decoding video and exposing the surfaces to CUDA, allowing applications to perform custom processing of the video. nvcuvid is primarily targeted at transcoding and video- processing applications. nvcuvid was already available on other platforms.

By default, nvidia-installer places headers in /usr/include/nvcuvid, and library in /usr/lib/libnvcuvid.so, or in the appropriate library path for your system.
    • Fixed a bug in VDPAU that could cause a "display preemption" when toggling MPlayer to full-screen the first time.
    • Added OpenGL 4.1 support for Quadro Fermi, GeForce GTX 4xx, and later GPUs.
    • Enhanced VDPAU to fully support Xinerama.
    • Fixed a bug in the X driver that prevented operation of Xinerama when using multiple NVIDIA GPUs from different major hardware generations
      on X with ABI 4 or greater.
    • Fixed a bug in the OpenGL driver's Xinerama support.

Rendering should have ocurred to all physical X screens driven by an NVIDIA GPU compatible with the NVIDIA GPU driving physical X screen 0. However, if some physical X screen did not satisfy that requirement, then not only would that physical X screen not be rendered to (as expected), but also all physical X screens with a higher number would not be rendered to (which was unexpected).
    • Added GPU "Processor Clock" reporting to the nvidia-settings PowerMizer page.
    • Implemented support for SLI Mosaic Mode on Quadro FX 5800 and Quadro Fermi and newer Quadro GPUs.
    • Enhanced the VDPAU overlay-based presentation queue to allow it to be used when SLI is active, and in some cases when the X composite extension is enabled. See the README for further details.
    • Added support for configuring the dithering mode used when driving a flat panel with a GeForce 8 family or Quadro 4600/5600 or newer GPU.See the "Dithering Controls" in the Flat Panel page in nvidia-settings.
    • Added unofficial GLX protocol support (i.e., for GLX indirect rendering) for the following OpenGL extensions:
      GL_EXT_texture_integer
      GL_ARB_stencil_two_side
      GL_EXT_transform_feedback2
      GL_NV_transform_feedback2
      GL_NV_conditional_render
    • Added GLX protocol support (i.e., for GLX indirect rendering) for the following OpenGL extensions:
      GL_NV_point_sprite
      GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
      GL_EXT_point_parameters
      GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
      GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
      GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
    • GLX protocol for the following OpenGL extension is promoted from unofficial GLX ptotocol to ARB approved GLX protocol:
      GL_EXT_geometry_shader4
      GL_ARB_shader_objects
      GL_ARB_vertex_shader
      GL_ARB_fragment_shader
    • Added support for configuring individual displays as any eye in passive stereo mode "4" when using TwinView or SLI Mosaic through extensions to the MetaMode syntax.
    • Added ColorSpace and ColorRange features for HDMI. These give the ability to output YUV over HDMI and select full/reduced color range on RGB over HDMI. ColorSpace and ColorRange are X Configuration options and can be changed dynamically through nvidia-settings.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: NVIDIA 260.19 Issues

Wow, that is an impressive list of fixes and enhancements in the nVidia driver version 260.19 there oldcpu. I have another thread on the new kernel 2.6.36 and so I put a pointer there to your nVidia listing here for reference. I also have installed this new driver on two PC's with the new kernel and so far no problems, but it is hard to test everything in a single night.

Thanks for the information.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

I note on the nVidia forum an openSUSE-11.3 user reported a bug with this new driver and a recent KDE-4.5.1: KDE4 4.5.1 plasma-desktop fails with 260.19 - nV News Forums

To quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by qdlaty View Post
    Under openSUSE 11.3 with KDE4 4.5.1 plasma-desktop force closes if nVidia driver is used from 260.19.xx branch.

And 260.19.xx are the only one compiling under 2.6.36 kernel :/
    Edit : the bug 'may' be with KDE-4.5.x and not the graphic driver.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: NVIDIA 260.19 Issues

oldcpu I note on the nVidia forum an openSUSE-11.3 user reported a bug with this new driver and a recent KDE-4.5.1: KDE4 4.5.1 plasma-desktop fails with 260.19 - nV News Forums
    That is very interesting oldcpu. As luck would have it, I have been running KDE 4.4.4 on everything. I have no intentions of moving up until I see what openSUSE 11.4 does with KDE and I will decide my fate then as to the KDE version I will be running, perhaps 4.6 by then.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

I installed the new Nvidia driver from the repo on two 11.3 KDE 4.4 machines. No problems on either machine so far. The most taxing thing it's done so far is play Minecraft.
    Since it was in the Nvidia repo I figured it's stable. I am running "2.6.34.7-0.4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-10-07 19:07:51 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
    glxgears runs about like it always has.

I still get the occasional xorg caused momentary intermittent hitches.
    Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I note on the nVidia forum an openSUSE-11.3 user reported a bug with this new driver and a recent KDE-4.5.1: KDE4 4.5.1 plasma-desktop fails with 260.19 - nV News Forums

To quote:
    Edit : the bug 'may' be with KDE-4.5.x and not the graphic driver.
    It appears other problems are being reported with the 260.19 driver: 260.19.06 regression - nV News Forums

From that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by naib View Post
    #1 HoN (game HeroesOfNewerth) would now crash. in a 40min game I am pretty much guenteed to crash *IF* I CTRL-ALT-{left,right} the games crashlogs clearly show it is part of the drivers AND associated with pthreads

Code:
    Signal: Segmentation fault
    downgrading drivers completely remove this crash BUT brings back the lag.

ALSO some very basic 2D apps start playing up:
    gvim.
    When executed under the 260.x drivers and using openbox as the desktop environment the GUI is non-responsive. IF gvim is launched: gvim -f it is usable but the save/open gtk dialog is non-functional.

Associated gentoo bug on the topic of gvim and nv-260.x
    Gentoo Bug 336837 - x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.04 & x11-libs/cairo-1.10.0 exacerbates pthread locking issue with OpenGL
    Quote Originally Posted by naib View Post
    Well I installed 260.19.12 today and exactly the same issue.
    ... so not all is solved yet .

As often is the case with new drivers, one needs to consider one's requirements, and then do some investigations to see where the problems still lay to see if the problems are important for one's use.

I am not happy at all with this driver. "Present Windows" which I use a lot to switch between applications is quite choppy and ... no fun. No idea what other problems might show up. Meh.

How would one roll back if they were using the Nvidia repo for 11.3?
    Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBait View Post
    How would one roll back if they were using the Nvidia repo for 11.3?
    If the driver is not on the repos, then its not so easy.

I always install/build the driver 'the hardway' (which is not hard) and keep a copy of the older .run file drivers on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    If the driver is not on the repos, then its not so easy.

I always install/build the driver 'the hardway' (which is not hard) and keep a copy of the older .run file drivers on my PC.
    Would what Sagemta described here still apply: Nvidia for Newbies part 1 ?
    Only with the previous drivers (256.53??)

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast