Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: root password problem with Yast

Default root password problem with Yast

Hi,

Yast has recently decided to refuse my root password when started from the application launcher. However, I have no problem opening a shell, logining in as root (su command), then starting yast (yast command).

I am working on a OpenSuse 11.2 machine.

Any help to resolve this mystery would be appreciated.

Default Re: root password problem with Yast

I suppose the problem is rather caused by kdesu, not YaST itself, test that with

Code:
    kdesu yast2
    ...and post the output here.

If you use KDE, in case of GNOME it's 'gksu' I think.

'kdesu yast2' opens the same window as the one open from the application launcher (so I guess there is a good chance that you found the culprit). After I type my root password, the window displays: Incorrect password, please try again.

Again: please post the output of the command line (not of the kdesu-window).

Edit: maybe you type that command in a KRunner line (Alt + F2)? I mean an actual terminal.

Nope, ran it from shell.

There is no output to the shell after the window is open.

Weird, because this is how it looks for me:

Code:
    kalle@hoppers:~> kdesu yast2
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/process.cpp : 295 ]  Running "/bin/su"
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/process.cpp : 295 ]  Running "/bin/su"
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/process.cpp : 381 ]  Child pid 8772
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/process.cpp : 381 ]  Child pid 8777
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
    kdesu(8767)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.5.2/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
    You do run 'kdesu' as user, don't you?

Yes, running it from shell as user not root.

If I run kdesu with the -t option, the shell displays the following text after I enter my password:
    kdesu_stub

And that's it.

Blog Entries

You might take a look at this recent thread to see if anything in it works for you

new kernel - shell error message

HTH,
    Tony

I think it's unlikely that these two are related, tsu2.

pomchip, please post the output of

Code:
    kde4-config --version
    zypper se -s kdebase4-runtime

Code:
    >kde4-config --version
    Qt: 4.5.3
    KDE: 4.5.3 (KDE 4.3.5) "release 0"
    kde4-config: 1.0
    > zypper se -s kdebase4-runtime
    Repository 'openSUSE:11.2:Contrib' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name                               | Type       | Version      | Arch   | Repository
    --+------------------------------------+------------+--------------+--------+---------------------
    i | kdebase4-runtime                   | package    | 4.3.5-0.1.2  | i586   | openSUSE-11.2-Update
    v | kdebase4-runtime                   | package    | 4.3.1-5.6.3  | i586   | openSUSE-11.2-Oss
      | kdebase4-runtime                   | srcpackage | 4.3.5-0.1.2  | noarch | openSUSE-11.2-Update
    i | kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE | package    | 11.2-29.31.1 | i586   | openSUSE-11.2-Update
    v | kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE | package    | 11.2-29.30.1 | i586   | openSUSE-11.2-Oss
      | kdebase4-runtime-branding-upstream | package    | 4.3.5-0.1.2  | i586   | openSUSE-11.2-Update
      | kdebase4-runtime-branding-upstream | package    | 4.3.1-5.6.3  | i586   | openSUSE-11.2-Oss

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast