Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opensuse 11.2 "broken" eth0

Default Re: opensuse 11.2 "broken" eth0

Also, am curious if you have both your wired and wireless network adapters enabled at the same time... If they're both enabled and connecting to the same Internet Gateway, I can sure imagine some weird routing issues and who knows what else... If this is what's happening, just disable one of your network connections and the other ought to work (Probably require a reboot if /sbin/network restart doesn't work).
    No I never use them both at the same time , wlan is for university eth is for home. Once eth is on wlan is "turned off".

Just curious what you're using currently for your WiFi configuration...
    As I checked in the Yast I am using ifup for network managing (i think both eth and wlan)

I am going to test the NetworkManager, however I have to install it first and then the dependency hell starts (no internet = no easy installation). I think it's gonna take me a while to collect all the pkgs needed for the installation. After I'm done with it and tested it I'm gonna tell you the result hopefully it will work

try to send a dhcp request on eth0:
    dhclient eth0
    And show us the file ifcfg-eth0 (if it exists) :
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0

blah01

You wanted to know what the commands ifup and if down did well here is a site that will tell you a little about the commands. ifup/ifdown(8) - bring/take a network interface up/down by Anthony Towns — Translated by humans

Oh question do you have a live CD around if so boot the computer with the live CD and see if you get a connection. If I rember right the live CD's use the Network Manager as the default. You als might be able to get the setup and copy it to your computer so you can edit yours and make it the same to get your net card working.
    I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow.

Blog Entries

Installing NetworkManager is only a general recommendation supported by just about everybody if it's not a problem so I'm not suggesting trying too hard to install... But, I still am curious what you're using for your wireless network management... Surely you're not doing it by CLI using wpa_supplicant and iw, right?

If you've tried all steps I've recommended to this point and still don't have connectivity, then I do support please_try_again's suggestion to test making a dhcpcd request.

The other thing I would highly recommend is to test configuring a static IP address(Configure using YAST or NetworkManager if you succeed in installing), using an <unused> valid IP address for your network, you haven't yet posted anything I've seen that states what your NetworkID is, you say you have access to your DHCP server so you should be able to gather the info you need...

GW - For home networks, usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
    Mask - Typically, if your gateway address is one of the above, it will be 255.255.255.0 or will be an address followed by a "/24"
    IPaddress- If both the above is true, then any unused number will suffice, if you don't understand what I mean unless you're very, very unlucky 192.168.0.241 should be unused and valid on your network (if your GW is 192.168.0.1)
    DNS - Typically, on home networks the GW is also your DNS.

I recommend configuring that for your wired (not wireless) connection for simplicity.

Configuring with a static address will test and verify whether your network card is functioning and will further suggest your problem is related to only DHCP.

Tony

@please_try_again
    try to send a dhcp request on eth0:
    dhclient eth0
    And show us the file ifcfg-eth0 (if it exists) :
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0
    result

Code:
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    BROADCAST=''
    ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
    IFPLUGD_PRIORITY='20'
    IPADDR=''
    MTU=''
    NAME='RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller'
    NETMASK=''
    NETWORK=''
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='ifplugd'
    USERCONTROL='no'
    @brad455
    thx for the link to the ifup

@tsu2
    But, I still am curious what you're using for your wireless network management... Surely you're not doing it by CLI using wpa_supplicant and iw, right?
    I think for wlan I'm also using ifup, cause in the Yast the "network setup method" is set to ifup.

The other thing I would highly recommend is to test configuring a static IP address(Configure using YAST or NetworkManager if you succeed in installing), using an <unused> valid IP address for your network, you haven't yet posted anything I've seen that states what your NetworkID is, you say you have access to your DHCP server so you should be able to gather the info you need...
    I'm going to install the NetworkManager now and try conf it. Also if that fails I'll paste the "logs" from the modem (DHCP server).

Quote Originally Posted by blah01 View Post
    @please_try_again

Code:
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    BROADCAST=''
    ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
    IFPLUGD_PRIORITY='20'
    IPADDR=''
    MTU=''
    NAME='RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller'
    NETMASK=''
    NETWORK=''
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='ifplugd'
    USERCONTROL='no'
    If you use the ifup method, I would replace the line in red with:
    STARTMODE='auto'

@please_try_again
    If you use the ifup method, I would replace the line in red with:
    STARTMODE='auto'
    Didn't work.

However I have installed NetworkManager and it worked . Now the only "problem" is that I don't know how to conf wlan. Eth0 works fine however I have to use wlan on my university.

tsu2
    You should then be able to invoke Network Manager either from a tray icon (lower right on the bottom Panel) or from the "Run Command" typing networkmanager or knetworkmanager.
    There is no icon of the NM in the panel (I'm using xfce) nor there is a cmd k/networkmanager. The ver I have installed is NetworkManager-0.7.1_git20090811-4.2.i586 (from opensuse pkg search). I'll try to figure that out on my own, cause I can see that there are some tutorials. However If I will get stuck I will post here in order not to start another thread.

Thank you all for your help

You can place a icon of Network Manager in the system tray, it should be under the pref's and when you dont have your wired connection pluged in it should switch to wlan.
    I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow.

Blog Entries

Cool.
    I'm glad to hear at least half your problem is solved.

Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12