Thread: Strange behavior

Default Strange behavior

Hi, i starting to see my screen freeze for a couple of seconds between applications are switched. Did not happen before and just started like 2 weeks ago.
    Does anyone know what it may be?
    Not sure if thats the mouse or... its a little annoying.

I run OpenSuse 11.3 with KDE 4.4.4
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Default Re: Strange behavior

Does no one have the same kind of behavior? Happens also if the screensave is active. Takes a couple of seconds till the screen apears again. Kinda like waking up.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Could you tell us about your hardware. Ram, videocard ?
    Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzan 4 core, RAM: 32 GB, SSD 120 GB OS, SSD 480 GB Raid, HD 500 GB , OS: 15.1
    Laptop: Toshiba, AMD 4 core, 8 GB RAM, SSD 500 GB, OS 15.1
    Printer: Brother Color laser , Scanner Epson V370. Main application: Ardour, Jack

It his been an intermittent issue here. I see it sometimes when I am watching some Anime with Smplayer and switch away from full screen mode.
    I really haven't been plagued with it too much but turning off the GU sensor is gkrellm helped a bunch. When I had it really bad. Doing that cleared it up except for infrequent momentary hangs. I saw this on two machines that are pretty much identical.
    I am thinking it's something interacting with the video driver. I am running the Nvidia driver from the repo.
    KDE 4.4.4 is the WM here.
    I don't run a screen saver and I don't run "power saving" stuff like letting the monitor "sleep"
    Tumbleweed

Of course
    I have a Nvidea GT8800 1GB, 4GB Ram, gigabyte motherboard and an E8500 cpu. Its 64bit what i am running.
    Its just strange, since it did not happen before. But now, it takes always a little while before the screen reappears. The mouse is also stuck for the time.
    Might that be just a full thumbnail folder or something like that?
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

I experienced this on my Geforce 9500GT too.
    Both had a bad interaction with the GPU temp sensor in gkrellm. So it is Video related.
    Same kernel, Same WM, same CPU, same memory, same motherboard chipset. I could really see it hanging about every four seconds when I did the 11.3 install on that new test box.

Someone mentioned something about increasing the default memory allocation but I can't remember the thread.
    Some folks with ATI have this problem too. It's not just Nvidia.
    Tumbleweed

I just try to ignore it now. Maybe one day there is a solution, hopefully. At least i am not alone
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE