How to load 11.3 over 11.0 on a duel boot system

I want to upgrade to 11.3 but save my desktop and settings from 11.0. How can I do that?

Install but tell the installer NOT to format the partition that has home on it just mount it as /home.

You will have problems with desktop settings because things changed so much between 11.0 and 11.3. You might want to rename the ~/.kde4 directory and start the desktop from scratch. But all your data will be preserved if you do not reformat the home partition.

I found how to load it to home but i could not figure out how to do your second suggestion, do I do that after it is loaded? I am running gnome not kde if that makes adifference.

As a gnome user, the folder would be in your home area as .gnome2 (~/.gnome2). You must have view hidden files enabled. Most often, you would install the new version of openSUSE, make sure to not format the /home area (which you had to maintain as a separate disk partition under openSUSE 11.0) and create a new user, which is not your name, proceed with the install. When done, go to your old home area as a new user, and rename the .gnome2 file. Then, create a new user as your old name and we would presume your other settings would be maintain.

Since this sounds like a lot of trouble you could just reinstall openSUSE 11.3, do not format the /home area if on a separate partition, use your old user name and see what happens. As always, back up any important data first for email, bookmarks, music, video files and Documents safely out of the way before doing any new OS installation.

Thank You,