Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I can not hibernate - no errors given

  1. #1

    Default I can not hibernate - no errors given

    preamble - running 11.3, kde4 unstable, hibernation worked til the 5th of this month, the system is updated as of today

    Hibernate option exists in kmenu but nothing happens

    If I look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log it is dated 10 days ago and the hibernation was a success

    If I run /usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action nothing happens nor gets displayed

    thanks,
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

  2. #2
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    On 2010-10-15 20:36, google01103 wrote:
    >
    > preamble - running 11.3, kde4 unstable, hibernation worked til the 5th
    > of this month, the system is updated as of today


    Run "zypper ps" to see what is pending to be actually updated - restart services as necesary, or the
    entire machine. Then try again. If it doesn't work, try first "powersave -U", and if it refuses due
    to permissions, then "su -" to root and try "pm-hibernate".

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  3. #3

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    Saludos - thanks for the reply

    Hibernate works fine if called from the command line but not from Kmenu
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

  4. #4
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    On 2010-10-16 12:06, google01103 wrote:
    >
    > Saludos - thanks for the reply
    >
    > Hibernate works fine if called from the command line but not from Kmenu


    Then you will have to inform the devs about that regression.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  5. #5

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    assumed a kde bug so posted to kbo https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=254410
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

  6. #6
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    On 2010-10-16 12:06, google01103 wrote:
    >
    > Saludos - thanks for the reply
    >
    > Hibernate works fine if called from the command line but not from Kmenu


    I forgot to ask: both CLI commands work? I'm interested in "powersave -U" as plain user. This is the
    one than commonly fails when the system thinks your machine can't hibernate or that you don't have
    permissions to do so.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  7. #7

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos E. R. View Post
    I forgot to ask: both CLI commands work? I'm interested in "powersave -U" as plain user. This is the
    one than commonly fails when the system thinks your machine can't hibernate or that you don't have
    permissions to do so.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    "powersave -U" works fine as regular user
    openSUSE Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5 & KDE 4.14.x, pretty current proprietary Nvidia drivers (self-compiled)

  8. #8
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    On 2010-10-17 13:06, google01103 wrote:
    >
    > Carlos E. R.;2239093 Wrote:
    >>
    >> I forgot to ask: both CLI commands work? I'm interested in "powersave
    >> -U" as plain user. This is the one than commonly fails when the system
    >> thinks your machine can't hibernate or that you don't have permissions to do so.


    > "powersave -U" works fine as regular user


    Ah. Then there is no doubt it is kde.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York, USA
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos E. R. View Post
    On 2010-10-17 13:06, google01103 wrote:
    >
    > Carlos E. R.;2239093 Wrote:
    >>
    >> I forgot to ask: both CLI commands work? I'm interested in "powersave
    >> -U" as plain user. This is the one than commonly fails when the system
    >> thinks your machine can't hibernate or that you don't have permissions to do so.


    > "powersave -U" works fine as regular user


    Ah. Then there is no doubt it is kde.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    I have experienced the OP problem since upgrade from the 2.6.34-12 kernel. Occurs under KDE, and (just tested) under Gnome. From the CLI,

    Code:
    seanm@SuLinux:~> powersave -u
    INFO: using SYSTEM upower
    method return sender=:1.13 -> dest=:1.108 reply_serial=2
    seanm@SuLinux:~>
    functions correctly. From

    Code:
    seanm@SuLinux:~> su -
    Password: 
    SuLinux:~ # pm-hibernate
    SuLinux:~ #
    fails the same as GUI/menu request(s) to hibernate. The visual is hibernation starts, power/off and immediately back on, completing the resume.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.15.3, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

    Test:: openSUSE 15.0, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

  10. #10
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: I can not hibernate - no errors given

    On 2010-10-17 19:06, SeanMc98 wrote:


    > I have experienced the OP problem since upgrade from the 2.6.34-12
    > kernel. Occurs under KDE, and (just tested) under Gnome. From the CLI,


    ....

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > seanm@SuLinux:~> powersave -u


    ....

    > functions correctly. From


    ....

    > SuLinux:~ # pm-hibernate


    ....

    > fails the same as GUI/menu request(s) to hibernate. The visual is
    > hibernation starts, power/off and immediately back on, completing the
    > resume.


    Now that's weird.

    Do have a look a the "/var/log/message" log file, the reason for the aborted hibernation should be
    there, or in "/var/log/pm-suspend.log".


    Something I always do is disable the hibernation splash display, I prefer the text display with
    messages.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •