Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to unmount the /home partition in order to be able change it's size.

Default Re: How to unmount the /home partition in order to be able change it's size.

I think you should download GParted : GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

Then you can burn it on a CD, that you will use for the next boot.

Has you will run a system from the CD, your /home will be unmounted, and you'll be able to resize it easily ! GParted is one of the best tool to manage partition from a live CD.

Default Re: How to unmount the /home partition in order to be able change it's size.

I'm with dvhenry on this as well except I add Gparted LiveCD as alternative, especially for resizing parttitons.
    Browse GParted Files on SourceForge.net

GParted doc on resizin=g
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry...e/resizing.htm

Gparted has a command line section so you can fsck /home.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Gparted is the GUI partitioning tool in the suggested PartedMagic also, although if someone prefers the yast tool, or has an openSUSE liveCD alreadv, this is another option, both are built around parted.

Quote Originally Posted by dvhenry View Post
    Gparted is the GUI partitioning tool in the suggested PartedMagic also, although if someone prefers the yast tool, or has an openSUSE liveCD alreadv, this is another option, both are built around parted.
    I have found GParted to be reliable as a partitioning tool. I recently "unpartitioned"/restored the HD of an almost new multi-boot (Win 7/openSUSE 11.3/Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS) laptop. I used the Win 7 disk management to remove everything EXCEPT the three (3) Windows partitions, then used the Windows "Repair" CD to restore the boot records, all with complete success.

CAVEAT / Strong Suggestion :

Code:
    Before one partitions a Windows 7 HD, create the Windows Repair CD.  This worked for me 
    (not that I particularly care about Windows 7, but it protects the investment already paid for!).
    Following this restore, I used GParted from the Ubuntu liveCD. I am burning the Parted Magic liveCD, and will give that a go at the next re-partitioning.
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE Leap 15.0 x64 + 42.3 x64, KDE 5.15.3, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Windows 7

Test:: openSUSE 15.0, KDE Plasma, Windows/XP/SP3 guest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12