compiz supported cards

I have a Nvidia GEforce 8400 GS card, and the drivers from the Nvidia repository. When I try to enable Desktop Effects, I’m told that “Desktop effects are not supported on your current hardware / configuration.” Clicking no, something starts using up 90-100% CPU, I can’t tell what the rogue process is, top only shows the gconf daemon using 10-11% CPU. I have to log off to end it.

What’s up with the card not being supported? I can’t find a list, but I’m sure this is new enough to be included.

Is there a way other than top to trace the rogue application? I’ve never seen anything like this before, top has always been reliable.

I have Gnome 2.30 on openSUSE 11.3.

Type it on konsole: uname -r and paste here…it can be an old kernel conflict!

I have the desktop kernel installed with 11.3. There has been an update.

Linux linux-89s2 2.6.34.7-0.3-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-09-20 15:27:38 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Did you installed Nvidia Drivers?

if not… install them through yast!!

http://opensuse-community.org/nvidia.ymp

Yes, the proprietary drivers.

Hello chief_sealth,

Installing the drivers isn’t always enough.
The drivers also need to be loaded and used.

Could you post the output of this command:

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

If you’ve got an xorg.conf file could you post the content of that file?

And could you post the output of this command:

modprobe nvidia

If everything’s fine then there won’t be any output.

Best of luck!:wink:

direct rendering: Yes

And could you post the output of this command:

modprobe nvidia

If everything’s fine then there won’t be any output.

No output here.

Hello chief_sealth,

All looks ok to me.

Where/how do you get this error message?

Best of luck!:wink:

Where/how do you get this error message?

The desktop effects message comes from the Desktop Effects dialog. Clicking no, the CPU and thermal meters in gkrellm jump, although top doesn’t show anything but the gconf daemon using 10-11% CPU. Killing gconfd doesn’t end the surge, only logging off will do this.

Something else, from time to time the display reverts to a lower res in a new session, and I can’t change this in the NVIDIA settings. 1024x768 is the highest available. Logging off and back on restores the higher res.