Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which NTP client is preferred?

Blog Entries

Default Which NTP client is preferred?

I count at least 3 ways offered in OpenSuSE 11.3 to configure NTP,

KDE Desktop Personalize
    YAST NTP
    YAST Date & Time

Do all configure the same NTP module or do two or more configure separate modules and therefor could cause contention?

Maybe a fourth method to configure by Command Line only might be considered the only method any SysAdmin would considered standard...

TIA,
    Tony

Default Re: Which NTP client is preferred?

I configured it via Yast and I think both modules do (almost) the same.

I'm not sure what the KDE module does, because as far as I know, normal user
    do not have the permission to change the system time.

If you have more than one user, use YAST otherwise I think the KDE module
    would do, too.

I looked in KDE, but nowhere I can find anything about NTP. Only the setting of the time zone the end user wants to have his desktop environment in.

In YaST > System > Date and time, there is also nowhere a place to configure NTP. It only warns you there that NTP is used in the system. It sets the default timezone for the system. Users can change from this by setting the appropriate variables in their environment e.g. in their .profile or in the KDE config discussed above.

NTP is configured in YaST > Network Services > NTP Configuration. You can not only configure there, but YaST will friendly switch it on/off from there and there is no need to go for the last paragraph of this post to do the switching. When switched on, the clock of your system is synchronised with the outside world. This is always done in UTC (as the whole of Unix/Linux runs in UTC).

In YaST > System > System services (runlevel) you can switch NTP on/off without further configuration. As said, the NTP configuration above will be able to do this also.
    Henk van Velden

About your last paragraph. Of course there is a way to configure NTP as root from the CLI. YaST is only an interface to this. Editing /etc/ntp.conf to make a working configuration (the same as YaST does). Starting (and switching on for starting at boot) NTP like very other init.d service with the appropriate rc.... tools (again YaST does this easy and wonderfull).
    Henk van Velden

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-10-13 17:36, tsu2 wrote:
    >
    > I count at least 3 ways offered in OpenSuSE 11.3 to configure NTP,
    >
    > KDE Desktop Personalize

It does not configure NTP, AFAIK.

> YAST NTP

Yes. That's one.

> YAST Date & Time

It does not configure NTP.

> Maybe a fourth method to configure by Command Line only might be
    > considered the only method any SysAdmin would considered standard...

Yes, you can also configure it yourself by hand.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

* hcvv wrote, On 10/13/2010 09:06 PM:
    > I looked in KDE, but nowhere I can find anything about NTP.

Configure Desktop, Date &Time lets you set an NTP server, similar to Windows.

Uwe

Quote Originally Posted by buckesfeld View Post
    * hcvv wrote, On 10/13/2010 09:06 PM:
    > I looked in KDE, but nowhere I can find anything about NTP.

Configure Desktop, Date &Time lets you set an NTP server, similar to Windows.

Uwe
    Having 11.2 and KDE 4.3.5 I can not see any reference to NTP on that page http://www.xs4all.nl/~hcvv/date-time.png (I hope we mean the same ). In any case, when it would be (or is in your case is) there, setting the dat the time zone is an end-user action and should only be for that one user, but changing date/time, including configuring/starting NTP is a system thing and thus an administrator (root) task.

As you want to compare this with Windows (I do not know why), I have heard that in Windows the difference between end-user settings and system settings is blurred. That could explain the mixup of these in the Windows case. But this is only wild guessing from my side because I have no experience/knowledge in Windows.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Thx all.
    I do wonder if the comments in this thread are more likely based though on our longer experience with SuSE, and therefor are used to configuring everything in YAST. I've never noticed this type of setting in KDE before so is probably new.

Correcting and clarifying the above comments, it is possible to configure NTP in YAST > Date & Time...
    To access the NTP configuration you only need to click on the "Change..." button in the lower right.

Also FYI -- On Windows boxes time sync configuration is considered a System type utility but I don't remember it needs special permission to configure (maybe some very minor elevated permissions). Ordinarily on a standalone machine it will sync according to the local configuration. In a Windows Domain, the machine is sync'd automatically with the DC when the machine first is recognized (eg powered on) in the network, but if the machine is off by too much before connecting to the DC, that in itself can cause connection problems(I think that's supposed to be the case for most LDAP systems).

IMO considering the ad hoc approach to cobbling together a Linux system, someone needs to look at this kind of situation and verify and possibly blacklist system utilities that are more than just GUIs on common modules. Until that happens, I wonder if it's possible to blacklist at least the KDE utility through policy...

Tony

I'm confused I see no NTP option in the KDE date/time. This allows a user to set their date/time for their account. this is not system level but user level. Consider the Linux is multi-user thus a user account may be a remote connection from a different time zone. But we would not want this remote user setting the system time. The system time can only be set and configured by root.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I'm confused I see no NTP option in the KDE date/time. This allows a user to set their date/time for their account. this is not system level but user level. Consider the Linux is multi-user thus a user account may be a remote connection from a different time zone. But we would not want this remote user setting the system time. The system time can only be set and configured by root.
    Thx, your response is absolutely to the point with this topic, and your scenario is something to keep in mind.
    So, at least this one Time/Date setting is different than the others and with a specific purpose.

Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast