Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimp Won't Work

Default Gimp Won't Work

I started a forum several months ago detailing how my gimp wouldn't load in OpenSUSE 11.3 KDE. After 4 pages of trial and error of trying to find why it would show the bouncy gimp icon and then eventually disappear with no gimp, I settled it by simply deciding not to use gimp and go with gimpshop instead. That has worked for a while. However, there has been lots of crashes and several errors that really hinder my productivity in gimpshop. Even though I didn't want to go through the pain of trying to reinstall gimp, I knew that the regular old gimp would be a MUCH better choice for me. So, here I am. I've uninstalled gimpshop and deleted its hidden home folder. Then I installed gimp. The install seemed to work great with no errors. However, just like last time, after trying to open gimp I simply saw the bouncy gimp icon for a few seconds and then it disappeared with no gimp And yes, I have tried opening it as a new user with the same results. Please forgive me for posting this again. I really appreciate all your help and your efforts to get my gimp working last time. Do you think ya'll could help me get this going again? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gimp Won't Work

Icon bouncing and program not starting means that the execution of the program encountered errors. Open a terminal window and run gimp from there with:

gimp

and post the error messages.

have you tried opening a terminal and launching gimp from there? This might give some insight into what is happening
    gimp --stack-trace-mode=always will spell out what is wrong from the terminal
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Thanks guys. Ok, I typed "gimp" into the terminal and the weirdest thing is that gimpshop loads up!! Then the terminal shows this:

/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/tiff: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gimp:16550): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: wire_read(): error
    /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/helpbrowser: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkhtml-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The strange thing is that I COMPLETELY uninstalled gimpshop from YAST and I can't see gimpshop in my Kickoff, only gimp. Anyway, that's what I got.

Blog Entries

Just out of interest, can we see your repos:

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Looks like something is crippled. What happens if you reinstall GIMP? And please show us the output of:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d

Please also tell us which KDE version you're on, and whether you updated from other repos.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I have tried reinstalling gimp three times now with the same results. Here is the result I got from your code:

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    ---+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | 11.3 - VideoLan | 11.3 - VideoLan | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.3/ |
    2 | Banshee | Banshee | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Banshee/openSUSE_11.3 |
    3 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
    4 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (DEBUG) | No | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    5 | download.opensuse.org-oss_1 | Main Repository (Sources) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    6 | download.videolan.org-SuSE | VideoLan Repository | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.3/ |
    7 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/i386 |
    8 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
    9 | openSUSE:11.3 | openSUSE:11.3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    10 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3/ |
    11 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    12 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
    13 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    14 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |

Blog Entries

Apart from duplications the repos seem OK.

Gimp was broken before you installed Gimpshop? Yes.. (Or at least you think it was broken)

How did you install Gimpshop?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timwhudson View Post
    Thanks guys. Ok, I typed "gimp" into the terminal and the weirdest thing is that gimpshop loads up!! Then the terminal shows this:

/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/tiff: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/helpbrowser: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkhtml-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The strange thing is that I COMPLETELY uninstalled gimpshop from YAST and I can't see gimpshop in my Kickoff, only gimp. Anyway, that's what I got.
    /usr/local/lib/gimp showing is not good. It's trying to load something from a non-standard directory. Something got messed up either before or after you installed and uninstalled gimpshop.

Ok, here's what happened. When I first installed linux (back in August), gimp was preinstalled with openSUSE. My friend was messing around with my computer and he installed gimpshop saying it would do better than gimp. I fussed around with it for a little bit, but then quickly uninstalled it thinking that gimpshop wasn't really what I liked. I don't remember if gimp got uninstalled before gimpshop was installed or not, but either way I somehow ended up trying to load gimp and getting the same problem I'm having now. That's when I posted on this forum and asked for help the first time. Eventually I decided to go back to gimpshop. So, I uninstalled gimp and reinstalled gimpshop. Then I got fed up with gimpshop trying to act like an Adobe product (it just caused too many errors). So, I uninstalled gimpshop, reinstalled gimp, and here I am. I don't know if gimpshop is what messed up gimp, but that makes sense to me since gimp wouldn't work after my friend did something and installed gimpshop. I've asked him personally if he had to uninstall gimp in order to install gimpshop or not, but like me, he forgot. I'm sorry, that's really all I know. What do you think I should do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast