Wine not working

Hi,

I want to play WarcraftIII with garena on SUSE. It seems it works only with wine with AcceptEx patch. So i build my own wine from the source using some guides here and on wine pages (downloaded 32b libraries, made symlinks, used * ./configure --prefix=/usr --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --x-includes=/usr/include/X11/ --with-x * ,etc.).

Wine compiles ok and even installs, but when I try to run winecfg it says …/.wine is a 64-bit instalation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.
I’ve tried to recompile it, use another source files but nothing seems to work. To me it seems like it still uses 64b libraries during compilation, but dunno, I’m noob.

Any ideas what could be the cause? and solution? Thx

I assume you are running 64 bit Linux??

So you would need to use the 64 bit libraries. Or be sure the whole wine stack is 32 bit. You can’t intermingle 64 bit and 32 bit.

Yes, i do.

Well, I followed these instructions:
Configuring Wine with a patch Problems -post #9

WineOn64bit - The Official Wine Wiki

But as I wrote above, it compiles fine, installs and then by executing winecfg returnes that error

Are you trying out 1.3 development version? If you just need only 1.2 version, better install the packaged one.

And if you need the 1.3 development version there is a repo for it.

According to wines appsdb garena should work with wine 1.3.1 with acceptex patch
WineHQ - Garena Garena 2010

With 1.2.1 its not supposed to work. However, ive tried 1.3.4 from repos and wasnt able to run garena properly either, (1st attempt garena started, I was even able to join a room, but pings were extremely high - about 500ms, then whenever i tried to start it again it crashed during logging) so I wanted to try 1.3.1 version with patch…

Have any1 experience with making garena run with wine?

gogalthorp wrote:

>
> I assume you are running 64 bit Linux??
>
> So you would need to use the 64 bit libraries. Or be sure the whole
> wine stack is 32 bit. You can’t intermingle 64 bit and 32 bit.

64-bit wine pulls in the wine 32 bit stuff - I was trying to avoid the
problem you describe and wiped every part of wine of to start over and down
it came. Actually, I don’t see any unusual problems with either the 64-bit
or the pure 32-bit packages on an AMD 64.

Will Honea

Have you tried to rename /home/user/.wine and run winecfg again?
This error usually appears when you replace 64bit wine package with 32bit wine package and keep the old .wine folder.

Well I was forced to reinstall suse, this time with gnome and it appears that garena is working finally((; I just used 1.3.4 wine from repos and was able to make it run(thats strange, cuz I did EXACTLY the same thing previously in KDE and garena just crashed at start).

Anyway, thx all of you for your help, I appreciate it

sometimes it helps to delete ~/.wine directory. this is how i get wine back running after i had the same problem.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:36:02 GMT, gogalthorp
<gogalthorp@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I assume you are running 64 bit Linux??
>
>So you would need to use the 64 bit libraries. Or be sure the whole
>wine stack is 32 bit. You can’t intermingle 64 bit and 32 bit.

Could be. I think OP has a 64-bit box without the 32-bit execution
environment installed. No 32-bit environment means no useful wine
(but they are working on wine for 32-bit clients on 64-bit machines
and full 64-bit wine).

I’ve just discovered I’m also having problems with ‘wine’. I installed a new program today and I can’t get it working. The error message from a terminal is:

@boreal:~> wine SatEvo_Linux/SatEvo.exe 
wine: Bad EXE format for H:\SatEvo_Linux\SatEvo.exe

I’ve also tried starting SatEvo by clicking it in a Dolphin window.

However, my Picasa program works correctly, but the config for that is handled by Picasa, and not by ‘wine’ directly.

I am using a 64B system and I’ve reinstalled ‘wine’ and all it’s default libraries through Yast. I’ve renamed the old ~/.wine directory. The 32B libs are installed by default, and I’m unclear about how to set up for 64B. The fact that Picasa is working proves that ‘wine’ is working correctly. So is the problem a configuration, or path, problem?

Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks.

Nevermind, I got it working. Just don’t ask me how I did it…

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:06:01 GMT, udaman
<udaman@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I’ve just discovered I’m also having problems with ‘wine’. I installed
>a new program today and I can’t get it working. The error message from
>a terminal is:
>
>Code:
>--------------------
> @boreal:~> wine SatEvo_Linux/SatEvo.exe
> wine: Bad EXE format for H:\SatEvo_Linux\SatEvo.exe
>
>--------------------
>
>
>I’ve also tried starting SatEvo by clicking it in a Dolphin window.
>
>However, my Picasa program works correctly, but the config for that is
>handled by Picasa, and not by ‘wine’ directly.
>
>I am using a 64B system and I’ve reinstalled ‘wine’ and all it’s
>default libraries through Yast. I’ve renamed the old ~/.wine directory.
>The 32B libs are installed by default, and I’m unclear about how to set
>up for 64B. The fact that Picasa is working proves that ‘wine’ is
>working correctly. So is the problem a configuration, or path,
>problem?
>
>Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks.

I know that this sounds a bit strange, but have you installed
wine-doors?

Thanks for your reply.
I searched the repos for ‘wine’ and ‘doors’ and neither keyword came up with your suggestion. I did manage to get other Windows programs working under ‘wine’ without any problem, so I doubt wine-doors would be necessary. I rarely use Windows programs since Linux has a lot of native apps to choose from.

It’s very possible that the program I was having trouble with, SatEvo, is no longer compatible with current versions of ‘wine’. I’m not sure SatEvo is still actively maintained.