Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can you change the language in firefox?

Default How can you change the language in firefox?

I try to change the menu language from english to german in firefox. But i haven't figured out how to do that. Or is it even possible?
    There was via ftp a xpi file for the language but it did not change anything.
    Does someone know who to do that? I even checked in Yast but there it says only firefox (that webpin).

Thanks for the help
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Default Re: How can you change the language in firefox?

That .xpi is a wordbook-addon I suppose.

Look for the package 'MozillaFirefox-translations-common', it also contains german.

The other solution: Go to firefox homepage then download version for Germany.
    As my country, I need only download version for VietNam and firefox's language is Vietnamese

I really thought you can switch it. Like an add on.
    The translation-common is installed, but doesn't seem to have any effect. I don't even see a button to switch. I might install the german version. Oh wait, does it this make the default browser for all users? I like to have the german version, but my wife likes the english. omg.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Quote Originally Posted by yester64 View Post
    I really thought you can switch it. Like an add on.
    The translation-common is installed, but doesn't seem to have any effect. I don't even see a button to switch. I might install the german version. Oh wait, does it this make the default browser for all users? I like to have the german version, but my wife likes the english. omg.
    If I remember correctly, you can set your language using the LANG environment variable; add "export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 " to the .profile file in your home dir.
    With any luck you can just un-comment this line...

The other solution: Go to firefox homepage then download version for Germany.
    ...and install it "locally"? That seems suboptimal to me, plus it won't change a thing, since the UI-language of most apps (including FF) will be set by the users language setting (as described by Mithrandir0).

And no, there is no switch for that (in FF). yester64, I suppose your general setting is english, correct?

Sorry for doubleposting...

I understand the goal is to set the UI-language for FF individually.

I just found a promising option in 'man firefox' (-UILocale $lang-$region'), but can not get it to work for some reason. Then I googled some more and found a →locale switcher addon which also has a (non-default!) option to switch the UI-language. Works for me, so give it a shot. With some luck you may remove this addon after switching to german.

Firefox on openSUSE is supposed to display the language you are using in $LANG (echo $LANG). And as proposed somewhere above changing that in your profile should switch your Firefox UI language. Firefox doesn't have any UI to switch it by default. Firefox builds as distributed by mozilla.{org,com} are built for one language only. If the LANG approach doesn't work for you it might be some issue on your system as it usually works everywhere else (AFAIK).

wrosenauer, I think the point was that yester64 wants to preserve his (english) $lang-settings and yet have a german Firefox interface.

LANG could still be used. Just create a tiny wrapper script in $HOME/bin called firefox with that content:

LANG=de_DE /usr/bin/firefox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast