Thread: Suspend: Can I temporarily inhibit it?

Default Suspend: Can I temporarily inhibit it?

Hi, I am new to OpenSUSE but have been using Ubuntu for 3 years.

I have a computer setup as a jukebox and running KDE OpenSUSE 11.3 for music and multimedia.

The computer suspends and wakes up from suspend pretty well so I want to be able to let it do this naturally so I can generally have it on 24/7 (i.e. when it's not being used it will simply suspend until I wake it later), I do this already with my Ubuntu desktop - I rarely have to actually turn it off.

However, I would like to know if there is a simple method for temporarily inhibiting the suspend? Ubuntu has one as a power management inhibiting applet, it's just a one click toggle, and I find it quite handy.

The problem I have with the OpenSUSE jukebox is that if I have it sitting there playing music for longer than my power management settings it suspends from being idle (even though Amarok has been playing the whole time). In Ubuntu I just toggle the above applet when I know I'm not coming back to the PC for a while, and then toggle it back once I've finished - letting it go to sleep later on, works nicely.

Is there perhaps a similar widget for KDE, or other app/addition?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suspend: Can I temporarily inhibit it?

I don't know of one in KDE
    Gnome I think you mean: gnome-applets-inhibit-powersave
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Ok, I found a solution so here it is for anyone in the same boat as me who would like to see what I found.

Once I got my wireless up and going (separate issue), I went and had a browse of the available widgets to download. As I was scrolling down I found one called "Suspend Applet". Simply put it displays a Plasma on your screen with 3 options, "Turn Display off", "Suspend", "Hibernate".

Not only does the suspend option work, but it suspends faster than the normal power management process, but the system wakes up from the suspended state in literally under 3 seconds (probably more like 1-2). That is miles faster than the system's natural suspend wake-up which took about 15 seconds in my experience (though some system updates were done in the interim so maybe this is just the new standard).

I hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Ok. I misunderstood you then. I thought you were trying to disable 'suspend' function temporarily.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Ok. I misunderstood you then. I thought you were trying to disable 'suspend' function temporarily.
    Had me on this one too.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    lol, he had me on this too, twice.

Is anybody aware of such a widget, to inhibit power management features in KDE like the gnome-applets-inhibit-powersave ?