Thread: startprint has gone missing

Default startprint has gone missing

A couple of weeks ago I installed openSUSE 11.3/KDE 4.4.4 over openSUSE 11.0/KDE 3.5. It went well except for what turned out to be a glitch with the KDE default Plasma Desktop Workspace, which prevented the system from shutting down (the screen would go blank and then nothing would happen). Changing the Activity in the Desktop Settings to Folder View got rid of the glitch, returning everything to normal.

The printer icon/widget is now a question mark "?." I can't say for certain when this happened.
    Clicking on the widget produces the message, "KDEint could not launch 'opt/kde3/bin/startprint'."
    The command for the widget is 'opt/kde3/bin/startprint %U'.
    The file opt/kde3/bin/startprint no longer exists.

What additional information, if any, might be needed, and what can be done to get this widget working again?

TIA,
    Mark Z.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: startprint has gone missing

So doing an upgrade can leave some options non-functioning becuase they don't exist per say in the new desktop. Perhaps you want to run the command "system-config-printer" which is menu / Utilities / Printing / Printing. This will show all configured printers in your system. When you upgraded to KDE 4, you should stick with KDE 4 utilities. I still run KDE 3 apps like Kaffeine and even Kpoker, but utilities are another matter. In general, doing an upgrade will leave some things for you to figure out that would not be true when you do a new install.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: startprint has gone missing

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So doing an upgrade can leave some options non-functioning becuase they don't exist per say in the new desktop...In general, doing an upgrade will leave some things for you to figure out that would not be true when you do a new install.
    I knew this would be the case. A new install was rejected because I didn't want to go through reconfiguring things to get them to work as I did for my first GNU/Linux install, openSUSE 11.0. Because I'm not a geek, it was over a week before the dial-up connection was working properly and weeks before the printer worked at all.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the printer. I'll look into it.

Mark Z.

Blog Entries

I would like to post another suggestion to use instead of an upgrade. It is still not without risk for some applications. openSUSE will in general suggest you use a separate /home area for your users. If you accept this suggestion, then on your next install of openSUSE, you do not need to format or clear the /home area. This will leave specific setup information unchanged, even as you do a full install of openSUSE. If, as might be suspected, all installed programs are the same version or newer, all should be good. For instance, Firefox bookmarks will be intact as well as any mail for Thunderbird.

If you actually had a newer version of a program loaded under an older version of openSUSE, that can be a problem. For instance, if you had loaded the very latest version of Amarok into an older version of openSUSE and did a new install of openSUSE, but the version of Amarok was older than you were using, you may be unable to run Amarok until you either reload the newer version you had before or delete the Amarok configuration folder in your home area.

Even with these issues, keeping your old /home area is a very good idea to get in to doing when you install openSUSE and make sure you do not format this area on any reinstall or new install of openSUSE. As always, make sure you still backup all important data as any OS installation can go bad when you least expect it.

Thank You,

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-10-09 19:06, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
    >
    > I would like to post another suggestion to use instead of an upgrade.
    > It is still not without risk for some applications. openSUSE will in
    > general suggest you use a separate /home area for your users. If you
    > accept this suggestion, then on your next install of openSUSE, you do
    > not need to format or clear the /home area. This will leave specific
    > setup information unchanged, even as you do a full install of openSUSE.
    > If, as might be suspected, all installed programs are the same version
    > or newer, all should be good. For instance, Firefox bookmarks will be
    > intact as well as any mail for Thunderbird.

And the icons in the desktop would remain, which mean the OP would also the same "problem" with a
    new install as with an upgrade ;-P

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

And the icons in the desktop would remain, which mean the OP would also the same "problem" with a
    new install as with an upgrade ;-P

--
    Cheers / Saludos,
    Carlos, is this your drive-by shooting day or did you have something useful to add here? There was no suggestion that this would fix the OP problem, only just another way to "upgrade" to openSUSE and how it might work.

Thank You,

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-10-09 22:36, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
    >
    >> And the icons in the desktop would remain, which mean the OP would also
    >> the same "problem" with a
    >> new install as with an upgrade ;-P
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers / Saludos,Carlos, is this your drive-by shooting day or did you have something

> useful to add here? There was no suggestion that this would fix the OP
    > problem, only just another way to "upgrade" to openSUSE and how it might
    > work.

Yes, I did say something useful. Can't you see it?
    Or do you want to start shooting at me instead of asking why I said what I said if it wasn't clear?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Blog Entries

Carlos, I would like to suggest that it is our duty, if we have the knowledge, to provide help to anyone that asks and to not put down others who are trying to help as well. I know you know how. As an example, here is one of your finest posts today:

Nut seems to not be working

If you had a star on your bottom left of your message I would have voted for this very fine posting today. And, forgive me for my previous post as I was drinking at the time. I do the best I can.

Thank You,

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-10-10 04:36, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
    >
    > Carlos, I would like to suggest that it is our duty, if we have the
    > knowledge, to provide help to anyone that asks and to not put down
    > others who are trying to help as well. I know you know how. As an
    > example, here is one of your finest posts today:
    >
    > 'Nut seems to not be working' (http://tinyurl.com/32z9boe)
    >
    > If you had a star on your bottom left of your message I would have
    > voted for this very fine posting today. And, forgive me for my previous
    > post as I was drinking at the time. I do the best I can.
    >
    > Thank You,

Thanks, no problem.

Just understand that on some posts I extend and perhaps investigate and write for an hour or more,
    and on some I just post a quick note, which means that sometimes they will not be easy to
    understand, too short.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.