Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brightness in Gnome

Default Re: Brightness in Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by silenuz View Post
    The thing is most of the time it is fine, but for some things I have to change it temporariliy and don't want to have to fiddle with the monitor everytime I want to run somethinbg that needs to be brighter or softer, whatever the case may be.

If there is no way to do it in gnome, then a way to do it for X would bne fine as well.
    You can try xgamma it is installed by default.
    See man xgamma

You try it in the terminal, typing xgamma will show your current gamma config (default is 1) the range is 1-10
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

I tried it with my intel card and it works lower than 1 means I can turn my monitor darker by typing a dot before the number like so
    xgamma -gamma .7

Hope this help

I am using xfce and kde but I tried it in xfce.

I've been using xgamma so far, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes I'lll say
    xgamma gamma 1.3
    and it will report a value of 1 in and 1 out instead of changing it. Thus the need for something to change brightness. I now found this:
    ..:: seize the day ::.. :: Using xbrightness to Manage Screen Brightness :: March :: 2009
    However the package links he makes are no longer valid.

Quote Originally Posted by silenuz View Post
    I've been using xgamma so far, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes I'lll say
    xgamma gamma 1.3
    and it will report a value of 1 in and 1 out instead of changing it. Thus the need for something to change brightness. I now found this:
    ..:: seize the day ::.. :: Using xbrightness to Manage Screen Brightness :: March :: 2009
    However the package links he makes are no longer valid.
    It should work, it might be because of a typo in the option gamma it should be like this:
    Code:
    -gamma
    notice the - before gamma.

Yes I made typo but what happens sometime is, when you type in the command you get something like this:

xgamma -gamma 1
    -> Red 1.500, Green 1.500, Blue 1.500
    <- Red 1.000, Green 1.000, Blue 1.000

Notice it shows the in amount and out amount.

Sometimes I'll try to set it to 1.5 or something and I'll get:

xgamma -gamma 1.5
    -> Red 1.000, Green 1.000, Blue 1.000
    <- Red 1.000, Green 1.000, Blue 1.000

Regardless of what the gamma had been set with in the previous command.

It's beyond my knowledge and can't help you further.
    On my side it works as I type the values.
    Possibly there can be a hardware that doesn't support values outside of a whole number consistently
    where you will be stuck in choosing just the whole number 1 to 10.

Well this was a temp solution for me, trying all xbacklight and what not, the xgamma actually worked for me. The app sliders and powersaving stuff didnt but this did =) After 2-3 days of hunting i found a solution in here. The only problem is how do i make this happen everytime the computer starts ? Its my moms laptop and she doesnt really understand all this terminal stuff and commands. So do i need to put the command somewhere or do i make a file somehwere ?

Thanks!

Sorry for double post but i cant edit the post above. To mention the xgamma only changes the rgb colors and actually has nothing to do with the brightness. Even though this solution is better than having that intense brightness i have now, i still need to find why i cant change the brightness on the laptop.

Blog Entries

FYI, xgamma is not intended to adjust backlighting.

Anyway, make a simple script with your preferred editor. Then make it executable with 'chmod +x name_of_your_script'

Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    xgamma -gamma 1.5
    Then follow this guide about adding a program at startup. Hope this helps.

Thanks deano!

Im starting to thinking this problem goes way deeper than i thought from start, i dont get any results with lsmod | grep video, think i have to check what the real big problem is =)
    Thanks for the script It was long ago i had been doing this kind of "cutomazation" in linux =)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast