Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How to install a BootSplash theme

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default How to install a BootSplash theme

    Hi

    I'm trying to install a KDE splash screen. I go to Menu --> Config Desktop --> General --> Look and Feel --> Splash Screen --> Gte new themes. There I select and click "install" for "planet exp". All goes well except the new splash screen does not appear in the list of available splash screens.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks
    swerdna
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,051
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Hey John,

    Checked this, and I know what's going on. Instead of the link to the theme-file, the 'Install' button links to a html file, i.e. the URL of the downloadpage on kde-look.org......For sure in this case.
    It also goes wrong sometimes if the theme file does not have the proper structure. This is not checked on kde-look.org, so.......

    Solution: download the theme from kde-look.org, use the 'Install Theme file' option.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hey John,

    Checked this, and I know what's going on. Instead of the link to the theme-file, the 'Install' button links to a html file, i.e. the URL of the downloadpage on kde-look.org......For sure in this case.
    It also goes wrong sometimes if the theme file does not have the proper structure. This is not checked on kde-look.org, so.......

    Solution: download the theme from kde-look.org, use the 'Install Theme file' option.
    Isn't it in YAST - > software -> Install -> ... kde-themes , I know for my 11.2 KDE 4.3.5 that's where I got the planet theme from if we are talking the one where it shows the earth and a tiny space shuttle orbiting...
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,051
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Isn't it in YAST - > software -> Install -> ... kde-themes , I know for my 11.2 KDE 4.3.5 that's where I got the planet theme from if we are talking the one where it shows the earth and a tiny space shuttle orbiting...
    Nope, there's no package or pattern called kde-themes in 11.2, nor in 11.3. There is kdeartwork4-packages, but they don't contain splashes. The distros splashscreens for KDE4 are in kdebase4-workspace.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Nope, there's no package or pattern called kde-themes in 11.2, nor in 11.3. There is kdeartwork4-packages, but they don't contain splashes. The distros splashscreens for KDE4 are in kdebase4-workspace.
    that's why I used ...kde-themes cause I can't remember the exact wording other than I searched YAST and found the themes mentioned in some package.

    I stand corrected
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hey John,

    Checked this, and I know what's going on. Instead of the link to the theme-file, the 'Install' button links to a html file, i.e. the URL of the downloadpage on kde-look.org......For sure in this case.
    It also goes wrong sometimes if the theme file does not have the proper structure. This is not checked on kde-look.org, so.......

    Solution: download the theme from kde-look.org, use the 'Install Theme file' option.
    Hey Gertjan.
    Thanks for the tip.

    I downloaded a splash theme from kde-look and unzipped it, examined the contents and compared them with a working theme in /home/john/.kde4/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/. The structure and contents of the download were not congruent with the working theme. Even so, I tried using KDE's GUI splash installer, pointing the GUI to the zip file. It recognised part of the contents and also issued an error message and then stopped, aborted.

    I conclude that KDE4 maybe needs a structure to the splash files that is not available in the theme I wanted.

    I was only doing this because I was bored, and now have better things to do, now that a new day is here Thanks
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Why don't you create your own theme. The themes are located in /etc/bootsplash/themes.

    It is a bit fiddley to move the logo and the progressbar...all depending on your screen resulotion

    then point to your new theme in
    yast=>/etc/sysconfig Editor =>Systems=>Boot=>Theme newthemename

    Greetings for OZ Brisbane
    Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzan 4 core, RAM: 32 GB, SSD 120 GB OS, SSD 480 GB Raid, HD 500 GB , OS: 15.1
    Laptop: Toshiba, AMD 4 core, 8 GB RAM, SSD 500 GB, OS 15.1
    Printer: Brother Color laser , Scanner Epson V370. Main application: Ardour, Jack

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Quote Originally Posted by otto_oz View Post
    Why don't you create your own theme. The themes are located in /etc/bootsplash/themes.

    It is a bit fiddley to move the logo and the progressbar...all depending on your screen resulotion

    then point to your new theme in
    yast=>/etc/sysconfig Editor =>Systems=>Boot=>Theme newthemename

    Greetings for OZ Brisbane
    Thanks. I had a look in "themes". As you hinted, too fiddly for me. I was only willing if it was a GUI-install sort of thing.

    Greetings back from Oz -- Centenary Suburbs.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  9. #9
    Carlos E. R. NNTP User

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    On 2010-10-05 14:06, swerdna wrote:
    >
    > otto_oz;2233180 Wrote:
    >> Why don't you create your own theme. The themes are located in
    >> /etc/bootsplash/themes.
    >>
    >> It is a bit fiddley to move the logo and the progressbar...all
    >> depending on your screen resulotion
    >>
    >> then point to your new theme in
    >> yast=>/etc/sysconfig Editor =>Systems=>Boot=>Theme newthemename
    >>
    >> Greetings for OZ Brisbane

    >
    > Thanks. I had a look in "themes". As you hinted, too fiddly for me. I
    > was only willing if it was a GUI-install sort of thing.


    Your subject lines asks about BOOTsplash themes, but you are in fact asking about KDE themes.
    Otto gave the correct answer for boot splash themes.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to install a BootSplash theme

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos E. R. View Post
    Your subject lines asks about BOOTsplash themes, but you are in fact asking about KDE themes.
    Otto gave the correct answer for boot splash themes.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
    Thanks for the clarification. I see now that the KDE part of the equation only applies to the login screen.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •