Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a mail program...

Default Need a mail program...

So, after over 10 years, I'm ditching KMail.

I just can't take Akonadi anymore. After a few hours of running, it just sucks the life out of my system. If I need to run Akonadi to run KMail, then I'm done with Kmail.

So, I've got 10+ years of mail stored in maildir format, and I need a new mail program. I'd like to stick with something KDE friendly if possible, but I'll take what I can get.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Need a mail program...

I have been using mozilla's Thunderbird which has been working very well for me and no need for Akonadi to run to use it. I have no idea about converting or moving over a bunch of old mail however. What were you thinking you wanted to do there?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Need a mail program...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I have been using mozilla's Thunderbird which has been working very well for me and no need for Akonadi to run to use it. I have no idea about converting or moving over a bunch of old mail however. What were you thinking you wanted to do there?
    I'd like to convert the old mail over, if possible. If I have to export it, I will, not a problem.

Blog Entries

There seems to be several links on the subject. Here are a couple. It is always a challenge to know how the current version works if the articles are old.

TiJaJoMa: How to import Kmail into Thunderbird (and vice versa)

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird...la_Thunderbird

Still it looks like there may be a solution for you. Why not load and configure Thunderbird first and see if you want to go any further. It makes no sense to worry about a conversion if you do not like the program to begin with.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

There is also Claws Mail. It is quite quick and small, you almost don't notice it at all.

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-10-04 04:06, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:

> Still it looks like there may be a solution for you. Why not load and
    > configure Thunderbird first and see if you want to go any further. It
    > makes no sense to worry about a conversion if you do not like the
    > program to begin with.

The conversion can be done by using an intermediate IMAP server. From the old program, you copy all
    mail to the server, in folders (one by one, or all). Then, import the folders in the new program.

You can, also, keep a local IMAP server, and then you can see the emails from any program you like,
    choosing one each time. Kmail, evince, thunderbird... whatever. All using the same folders. Mind:
    not importing, but using. One central storage place, the imap server in your own computer.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Hey Carlos, what a neat idea! You are truly the go-to person for email!

Johnnycat, I've been using evolution. It's a Gnome app but it has worked well in KDE for me. I like it because it's a complete suite. Address book has complete information including a place for pictures of your contacts, which show up in your mail messages. I don't use the calendar functions or the scheduling but it has all the features you should need in the mail section.

I had a serious problem with Thunderbird, concerning lost mail, that has given me a bad taste. It was a while ago but I can't seem to get past it. Of course, a whole lot of people use Tbird with much success. The problem's mine I guess, not Tbird.

Bart

i think there are dozens of e-mail clients out there you just have to choose the one you like best Program finder - Softpedia

asking this forum to choose an email client for you will only endup people shouting out there favorite email programs and wont give yu any advice what email program fits best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Emsworth View Post
    There is also Claws Mail. It is quite quick and small, you almost don't notice it at all.
    I second that choice. Claws Mail is a fork of sylpheed (the one I use). They both do anything an e-mail client is supposed to do (not more) and are extremly lightweight - if you compared them with programs like thunderbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos E. R. View Post
    On 2010-10-04 04:06, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
    The conversion can be done by using an intermediate IMAP server. From the old program, you copy all
    mail to the server, in folders (one by one, or all). Then, import the folders in the new program.

You can, also, keep a local IMAP server, and then you can see the emails from any program you like,
    choosing one each time. Kmail, evince, thunderbird... whatever. All using the same folders. Mind:
    not importing, but using. One central storage place, the imap server in your own computer.
    Very good idea! How do you configure a local IMAP server?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast