Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So, artmonkey if you are using GNOME, do the following.

1. Press the Computer (Menu) button on the bottom left corner.

2. Press the More Applications Button.

3. Select System On The System Category on the Left

4. On The right find GNOME TERMINAL and open Terminal

5. In the Terminal Windows type su and then the password.

6. Now in the same terminal type: gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

A GEDIT window should pop up with your grub menu.lst file being shown and so you can edit it. Find one of the Windows selections and make it read like this:

Code:
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windowsRecovery###  title windows 1
     rootnoverify (hd0,0)      chainloader +1
    Save the file and reboot. Now at some point, you are going to need to start getting the hang of this all or we will all be jumping off the nearest tower to our deaths soon enough.

Thank You,
    I'm very sorry. Actually I'm pretty sure that's what i did. Where was that nice blagger's guide above when I needed it?! lol. But anyway it's too late. I lost my temper and installed the Windows 7 recovery disks which have got Windows 7 up and running as it were..

But do not despair! I won't forget how helpful you have all been and I'm looking to get a PC soley for linux in the near future. I can familiarise myself with it and bob's your uncle! Linux pro in the making!

Many thanks, what a wonderful community

Steve.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

It would seem that doing a copy from one code block to another does not always work here.

Code:
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###  
    title windows 1  
     rootnoverify (hd0,0)
     chainloader +1
    Here is the correct looking change. I feel that tower getting closer to me.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

PS. The GEDIT part were missing!

Can you at least tell us if booting (hd0,0) did start the Windows recovery program (as I suspected), so that we could also learn something from that adventure?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

Code:
    PS. The GEDIT part were missing!
    As Far as I know gedit comes with gnome and should work. If you can't make edits to system files, then you can't correct any problems that we may find.

And So it goes ....

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Can you at least tell us if booting (hd0,0) did start the Windows recovery program (as I suspected), so that we could also learn something from that adventure?
    Hi. I booted the recovery cd changing settings in Bios, made it the primary boot device, restarted, installed.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516