Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Does Windows 7 maybe put its bootloader in both partitions?
    Does it have a boot partition you mean? ... Yes, very often.

Boot code in both partitions. NO
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Boot code in both partitions. NO
    In that case, the script I posted should indicate which of both is the boot partition, assuming the bootcode contains the string BOOTMGR. But I don't have a Windows 7 machine to test. The ones I've seen used that string. (?) BTW, YaST should find out that too if it would read bootsectors rather than guessing (?).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    In that case, the script I posted should indicate which of both is the boot partition, assuming the bootcode contains the string BOOTMGR. But I don't have a Windows 7 machine to test. The ones I've seen used that string. (?) BTW, YaST should find out that too if it would read bootsectors rather than guessing (?).
    It's something that needs fixing in SUSE because I see it constantly missing when boot partition exists
    Leap 15_KDE

Thank you all for your help. I looked some more on the internet and using the Repair tool of the original Windowd 7 DVD fixed the booting of Windows. But...

1. Now, upon turning on my computer, I don't get the grub menu but the system takes me directly and boots Windows 7.
    2. I'm still dealing with the problem of not being able to have openSuSE see my Network card, thus leaving me without internet.

Any ideas?

That problem will remain, as long as openSUSE will refuse to install Grub in MBR by default in order to preserve Windows. IMHO this is ridiculous because
    1. it doesn't preserve Windows (as you just experienced)
    2. it doesn't preserve openSUSE (since you had to use Windows Repair DVD)

My advice is to boot with a liveCD or PartedMagic and install Grub in MBR. But people following the openSUSE 'policies' won't agree.

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

On 2010-09-27 10:06, please try again wrote:
    >
    > That problem will remain, as long as openSUSE will refuse to install
    > Grub in MBR by default in order to preserve Windows. IMHO this is
    > ridiculous because
    >
    > - it doesn't preserve Windows (as you just experienced)
    > - it doesn't preserve openSUSE (since you had to use Windows Repair
    > DVD)

Installing grub to the MBR can break windows, as it happened. And repairing it breaks GRUB, as it
    happened >:-)

> My advice is to boot with a liveCD or PartedMagic and install Grub in
    > MBR. But people following the openSUSE 'policies' won't agree.

Indeed >:-)

My general recommendation is:

Leave the MBR as is, untouched (ie, generic boot code as installed by windows. Install grub in a
    free primary (or extended (not logical)) partition. Mark that partition as bootable. Unmark the
    previously marked bootable partition.

Double check.

Advantages?

Windows repair tools will not damage things, they can blast away the MBR and windows boot sectors.
    Grub is safely far away, in a partition. When they do, linux will not boot, but reparing is simple:
    start a partition manager and mark again that partition as bootable.

In any case, installing/repairing grub is not a trivial task. Just see the hundreds of threads of
    newbies about grub problems. And the main problem is that the person affected has no idea of how
    grub was supposedly installed, which is the first step at diagnosis.

Your script, if it can be made to check all cases, can be a very useful tool. It should print all
    the things we usually ask.

Thinking.... I would perhaps do a for loop on /dev/sd*, checking for strings (is the "strings"
    program, or something else, always installed?), and also run a brief partition list. And the command
    "file -s" on that for loop, too.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic

I say boot flag to extended
    Then Install grub as above
    Leap 15_KDE

When I get home I'll try your suggestions.
    Could someone tell me how to make openSuSE reognize my Network card? It doesn't seem to be able to take IP address.
    Thanks

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

On 2010-09-27 12:36, giavvns wrote:
    >

> Could someone tell me how to make openSuSE reognize my Network card? It
    > doesn't seem to be able to take IP address.

There is a specific network forum. Ask there and give details, please.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by giavvns View Post
    When I get home I'll try your suggestions.
    Could someone tell me how to make openSuSE reognize my Network card? It doesn't seem to be able to take IP address.
    Thanks
    Until you get suse booting again that will be difficult.

Switching the boot flag to the extended partition is done with Parted Magic
    My guess it's on sda1 now
    But we didn't get to see your disk info. You can get that from parted magic too. Open the terminal and type: fdisk -l
    (that's a lower case L)

You will have to toggle the flag of the current partition and set it to extended
    Then carefully follow the grub guide to install grub again, adjusting the numbering as appropriate for your settings.

Actually - if you post the fdisk info and the part that answers (find /boot/grub/menu.lst) we can tell you exactly how to proceed if you can't figure it.
    Leap 15_KDE

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast