Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    James.This was my suggestion. But if you look back, he is using gnome I think, hence
    Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7
    Yep. Gnome. Username is firstname space surname to enter suse desktop.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1and Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by artmonkey View Post
    Yep. Gnome. Username is firstname space surname to enter suse desktop.
    I take it you didn't try that edit to the menu.lst ?
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Guess we'll have to wait and see. It occurred to me that there may have been another partition originally as part of the windows mix. But I'm probably less knowledgeable on this that you and it seems you have some personal experience with this system type and are perhaps better placed to advise from here.
    There was something like a "Virtual directory" I noticed. Not sure. It wasn't shown when I created the partition space for suse in Windows 7. But it was there next to c: and D: in windows when I clicked the "computer" option. Probably nothing.

I take it you didn't try that edit to the menu.lst ?
    I'm pretty sure I tried all alternatives I could do. I can try again.

Blog Entries

This was my idea
    Two major problems with dual boot installation of openSuSE 11.1 and Windows 7

But if it does start the recovery, as has been suggested, just quit it and report back.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Not at all! I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable person about Windows here. But when it gets about booting, either Windows or a flying saucer*, I'm trying to think logically. However with Windows, thinking logically might not always be the cleverest thing. We'll see.

* But if you ask me, I'll rather boot a flying saucer.
    I just typed -

Code:
    /home/surname's home/bin/findgrub
    It didn't state "no such file or directory," it just did nothing >

Is this progress? Every other scenario would come up with "no such file or directory"

ok you do realize that you do not type "surname's home" but use your user name, right??

If you are still confused,show us the output of

ls /home

that will show your user name as the machine knows you.

Quote Originally Posted by artmonkey View Post
    It didn't state "no such file or directory," it just did nothing >
    Well ... if you want to use this script, type exactly the following commands in a terminal :

Code:
    su -l
    which wget || zypper in wget
    cd /usr/bin
    wget  http://www.unixversal.com/linux/openSUSE/findgrub21.tgz
    tar -xvzf findgrub21.tgz
    chmod 755 findgrub cfindgrub
    ./findgrub
    If you still see 'file not found' after doing that, the problem will be in the script itself .

And of course, don't reboot! Don't do anything but catch the output of findgrub and copy/paste it here!

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    ok you do realize that you do not type "surname's home" but use your user name, right??

If you are still confused,show us the output of

ls /home

that will show your user name as the machine knows you.
    Definitely!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast