Thread: Gui freezes after starting first app

Default Gui freezes after starting first app

Hi everyone,

Linux newbie Mike here. I installed 11.3 on my dusty-trusty AMD 3000+ 64, 512MB RAM, 80G HD about 3 weeks ago. Within the last week, I have seen a problem where the GUI stops responding after login, and after the first application has been started. For instance, I log in as my account and start Firefox (or Chrome, or Thunderbird, or Nautilus). That app works fine. I can navigate, do work, and so forth. But the task bar no longer responds. I can't click the Computer button. I can't even click the app's titlebar icons (minimize, maximize, close). I've seen this in Gnome, KDE, and IceWM. I apologize for the lack of additional details, but I can't get into terminal either Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Gui freezes after starting first app

I installed 11.3 on my dusty-trusty AMD 3000+ 64, 512MB RAM, 80G HD about 3 weeks ago.
    Mike I see two things here, low memory (512 MB) & the word Dusty. First off, what size of a swap partition did you make? It should be at least two GB in size.

Next, if this is a desktop, you need to consider buying a can of Dust and Lint blaster (or two cans), take the PC outside, remove all of the panels and blow out all dust. Remove and reinsert all cables, memory sticks (leave the CPU alone, do not mess with it), video cards, sound cards and so forth. Don't forget the fans and power Supply. I even try to blow out floppy drives and optical drives. I would buy at least two cans of this blaster stuff as they tend to freeze up after a short period of use and don't blow as hard.

Computers can get very dusty and connections start to have high resistances, all of which promotes over heating and signal loss and very odd things. The issues you are complaining about sound like hardware problems to me and hopefully a good cleaning is all you need to get up and running.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Gui freezes after starting first app

hi mike,
    i would consider to check the ram for errors or better upgrade to at least 1 gb ram with 2gb swap.

Quote Originally Posted by howelmd View Post
    But the task bar no longer responds. I can't click the Computer button. I can't even click the app's titlebar icons (minimize, maximize, close). I've seen this in Gnome, KDE, and IceWM.
    So what do you think doesn't respond anymore? The task bar? Or the mouse?

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Some more details:
    This was my old XP Pro box, which I scanned, tested, and then converted following a nasty trojan infestation. I initially installed OpenSuse 11.2 32-bit and ran KDE. But bluetooth support was lax, so I decided to wipe and install the 64-bit version of 11.3 instead.

jd:
    I mean "dusty-trusty" as in the colloquial *old*, not physically dirty.

p_t_a:
    Whatever this problem is, it manifests clearly in the desktop and task bar. I found I am able to start one app, like Chrome or Terminal before the behavior exhibits itself. The behavior is the task bar and desktop icons (even Nautilus) stop responding to clicks, except every few minutes when I can click on one more icon or button. But within the frame of the application window I can type or click normally. For example, the desktop and task bar are seized right now, but I am writing this from a Chrome session I opened earlier. I have Terminal open, but I cannot even click on it to give it focus. I am not certain, but it seems the CPU fan is running faster than normal. I wonder if there is a runaway app stealing CPU cycles.

l1z:
    I don't have the budget to upgrade this thing, but I'll check the swap.

I'll be back...

Blog Entries

howelmd, all computers get dirty and filled with dust. We have the cooling fans to thank for that. As they suck in cool air, they also suck in dirt and dust. If you just cleaned your computer, then you don't need to again. Otherwise, I would do it again and don't forget to re-seat every connection, including memory modules. You need to trust me on this requirement to clean your computer.

Thank You,

I may have a solution here. And it doesn't make sense to me.

I went down your list of suggestions and tested each item one-by-one with no change. The interesting thing was I had an old WiFi card installed that I'm not using, and I never configured it during installation. I removed the card, and at this point the system is stable again.

I'm unsure why the card would cause the gui to lock up, so I'm going to keep monitoring and will post back in a few days if it was *the* fix.

Blog Entries

I may have a solution here. And it doesn't make sense to me.

I went down your list of suggestions and tested each item one-by-one with no change. The interesting thing was I had an old WiFi card installed that I'm not using, and I never configured it during installation. I removed the card, and at this point the system is stable again.

I'm unsure why the card would cause the gui to lock up, so I'm going to keep monitoring and will post back in a few days if it was *the* fix.
    howelmd, at least this may be the solution for you. It is never a good idea to keep unused option cards installed particularly when no driver is loaded to handle its interrupt setting. Hopefully this was the problem and it is fixed now.

Thank You,

It looks like the wireless NIC was the issue. It has been a few days since I removed the card, and the computer has been working without major glitches. I'm calling this one fixed. For completeness, the NIC was installed *before* I installed the operating system, so I would have expected the installer to have identified it in its HAL (driver was installed and it operated perfectly under 32-bit). But when I installed the 64-bit version, I used my wired connection and never configured the wlan card (figuring I'd do it later). I hate the comparison, but I doubt a Win system would have choked like this.